My baby turkeys, grown up at 20 weeks

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by silkies mama, Aug 15, 2013.

1. silkies mama

silkies mama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    My 2 boys will be 21 weeks old this Saturday. Boy how the time flies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wcah

wcah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Shropshire, England. UK
    They look smart, i carnt wait for mine to grow up they are 8 weeks old now, but i agree the time dose fly. How do they get on with the chickens? Dont you worry about blackhead? 95% of what iv read says not to mix turkeys with chickens. I am in the UK may be were more prone to it?

3. silkies mama

silkies mama Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    I`ve had black head a couple of times with the turkeys. I read on here, and I don`t know if this is true on not.... but if they get it, and are successfully treated 3 different times they get more or less immune to it. Not sure if thats true. I have 30 acres, the turkeys sleep in the barn wherever they want at night. Chickens are locked in their coup at night, but all free range where they want. The turkeys actually grew up with those chickens pictured and they are all exactly the same age. Right now they have been black head free for quite a few weeks. So i am keeping my fingers crossed that they are not going to get it again. But if they do they are so easy to medicate, just a simple pill in the mouth, once a day for 5 days and its over. Then they get a regular worming. I know what to look for and I look at their poop every single day. So far so good. I love my birds.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by