My babygirl Feisty is not herself tonight.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CHELLYB0E, Apr 23, 2019.

1. CHELLYB0E

CHELLYB0E Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Windsor, California
    feisty is acting odd.

She is panting, she seems to have trouble keeping her balance when wanting to get in high places, she’s drooping her wings, she won’t get out of the squatting position, her eyes are looking really tired and she is keeping her butt feathers really low.

She is eating and drinking water but something isn’t right. She keeps making little squeaking noises.

Could it be because of the heat today? It was in the 90s. Now it’s like 73 degrees.

I put her and her sister who are basically conjoined at the hip in the shed tonight with a fan blowing to keep it nice and cool for them.

Im gonna leave water and food for them too. It’s only one of the girls, her sister lil peep is acting normal.

I’m just worried I don’t want her to die. I love my little baby.

Attached Files:

Sequel and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

This came on quickly? How old is this girl? Is she laying? She could be egg bound. Hydration, calcium and heat from underneath may help. Can you gently insert a finger into her vent and see if you can feel an egg?

3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Maybe not heat if it’s still that warm, but she could have access to a heating pad and choose to use it or not. It was 90° here today, too.

Thinking more about the squeaking noises... did you check that nothing is stimulate in her throat?

4. CHELLYB0E

CHELLYB0E Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Windsor, California
    I think she’s egg bound. It feels like there might be an egg stuck in her and I noticed she is no starting to have pulse like movements down there.

I don’t have Epson salt and I can’t get any tonight is there something else I can put in the water to soak her in? It’s a good thing she’s tired because during the day I don’t think she would be willing to soak

5. CHELLYB0E

CHELLYB0E Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Windsor, California
    She is a little over a year old. She recently started laying an egg every day sometimes there will be a day she doesn’t lay at all about a month and a half ago. I’m honestly too scared to stick my finger in her vent because I don’t want to break the egg in her

6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

You don’t need salt. Another option would be a damp towel over a heating pad set on low and let her sit on that. Try to stay calm. Speak soothingly to her. If she can relax, it might help. Do you have any calcium citrate plus D3 or other calcium supplement meant for humans? If so, I’d crush one up, mix it into raw egg yolk, and offer it to her.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  7. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

To clarify, the calcium is to help her push. The fluid and nutrients in yolk can give her strength.

ButtonquailGirl14 and Sequel like this.
  8. CHELLYB0E

CHELLYB0E Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Windsor, California
    I’m just standing here talking to her softly, I feel so bad for her she is so tired (she and her sister put themselves to bed usually around 6:30 7 o’clockish even if the sun is still out lol)

I feel like a really awful chicken mom right now. To be honest I read about this kind of stuff but never imagined it would happen to my girls. I am now gonna get all this stuff to have on hand just in case this happens again to any of my girls.

I just read in a google search I can crush up a tums pill if I don’t have calcium citrate is that true?
    Can I try giving her some yogurt?

Or what do you suggest I trust your word over google search results

9. CHELLYB0E

CHELLYB0E Chirping

Dec 1, 2018
    Windsor, California
    By the way I would like to thank you for helping me right now. I really do appreciate you.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  10. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I’m happy to try. Going to bed now. Yes, the Tums is better than nothing. Let us know how she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: