My baby's came in!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ckelley, Oct 13, 2016.

1. ckelley

ckelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    I got a call at 6:45 and I was there before 7:00 to pick them up!

I thought one was dead, she had floppy head, closed eyes and not standing up. I gave her some electrolyte water with a dosing syringe, and went to work. Went home about an 30 minutes ago, and she was standing. I hand watered her again, and will check on her in an hour. Everyone else is doing awesome!!

I am using a modified wool hen, and it is working fantastically. I will post pics sometime soon!

So happy to have my chickies! [​IMG]

2. kashifk95

kashifk95 Just Hatched

Oct 3, 2016
    Niice! post some pictures :) what breed are they?

3. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    We will see if these upload. I'm trying it from my phone. So they are mostly under the "hen" which is two plastic tubs with a heating pad between them. They keep darting out for food and water.

I have three black copper marans, three EE, two Dominique and one mystery bonus chick (probably leghorn or similar- little yellow chick)

[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    [​IMG]

5. tiggirl

tiggirl Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Toms River, NJ
    Hi CKelly. We are looking into purchasing our own babies as well. We want to have all the research done, so that we are well informed. Where do we begin? We've watched YouTube etc but are finding out that the best way is through having mentors to help out. We are located in the Toms River area of NJ. If anyone knows of any place reputable places locally to purchase and what are the best types of chicken for a home and for beginners, that would be great. We have kids and would like to be able to handle them a lot and hand feed. We are so looking forward to the adventure and to beginning this journey. Thank you.
    Melissa

6. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Hey Melissa!

I used Meyer Hatchery out of OH. There are several large hatcheries online that are excellent. Unfortunately I didn't have any local options for the breeds I wanted.

My last experience was with feed store chicks, and they were wonderful. It's just the wrong time of year for that and I wanted dark brown and blue/green eggs, so that's why I chose the black coppers and the Easter Eggers, I chose the dominque chicks because I have read they are very mellow.

In my experience, as long as they are socialized with you a lot, they will enjoy being around you. I had two banny hens who were skiddish but all my other birds were very happy to be loved on.

I would recommend going to the Chicken Chic's site. It is amazing. This site and the forums have been a great source of information and entertainment. I probably spend far too much time on both. Lol.

7. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado
    Moved them out to the porch for some fresh air. They are loving it!! 65 degrees out on the porch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tashKauai

tashKauai Just Hatched

Oct 14, 2016
    Kauai
    I'm anxiously awaiting my first order of chicks too! Seeing the pics of your little cuties is getting me even more excited. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they'll all arrive ok. They shipped Wednesday and actually should've been here today [​IMG] Called the hatchery for help when my post office said they werent here yet and they said yes looks like they're a day behind and will arrive tomorrow now, she says they should be ok just give them some sugar water to help boost them back up.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  9. ckelley

Jan 26, 2015
    Southern Colorado

I had one of my black copper marans that got a little squished- I though she was dead. A lot of attention later and she is doing well- has a bit of spraddle leg, and would not even attempt walking or standing the first day and now she is vying for the food and water.

I did have another BCM die the first night. She was good, and then gone. [​IMG]️ I have an ee that is a little iffy, we will see how she came through the night.

Chicks are wonderful and exciting- but it hard not to bond to every little one right away- and when you loose one it just sucks, even if you understand academically it will probably happen.

10. tashKauai

tashKauai Just Hatched

Oct 14, 2016
    Kauai
    @ckelley yes I agree I will definitely be sad!

One of the prices of living in Hawaii is limited options and shipping is always a gamble! I've already waited an extra two weeks for the hawaii agricultural paperwork to get back to the hatchery so this extra day feels like a month. Not that I would trade living here for more convenient shipping any day though

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by