my baby's didn't make it I having trouble getting to hatch day

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lexieshelle, Feb 17, 2015.

1. lexieshelle

lexieshelle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    So day 23 came and went so i candled them. But there was no movement and a funny smell. so i opened them and they had passed . It looks like somewhere around day 14 to 18. I'm so depressed. I know it sound silly but I felt like they where my baby's. I'm stuck trying to figure out what I did wrong any help will be appreciated please. And thank you

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Welcome to our flock [​IMG] It isn't silly. they were your babies! I've never used an incubator so I'm not much help. We care and someone will help. Sorry for your losses :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    Welcome to BYC. I don't know about incubating but hang tight someone on here will be able to help you. No it's not silly. The first time I took a chicken to the vet's I was crying and laughing. Crying because I was worried over a chicken. Laughing because I couldn't believe I was at the vet's with a chicken of all things. My vet was so nice. He told me that chickens are the number one backyard pets. That made me feel better. We all have our ups and downs raising chickens and sometimes things just happen so don't be too hard on yourself.

1 person likes this.
  4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Let's start with what type of incubator, what was temperature and humidity days 1-18, then what was temperature and humidity when you pit them on lockdown on day 18?

1 person likes this.
  5. lexieshelle

Feb 17, 2015
    Temp was 99.5-101.5 humidity was 45-55 but a few times I would notice the humidity would fall because the water evaped to quickly so I had to add more

6. lexieshelle

Feb 17, 2015
    Incubator is homemade

7. lexieshelle

Feb 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

8. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Did you put them on "lockdown" on day 18. Raising the humidity to about 65% and close them up and not open it til after hatch day?

9. lexieshelle

Feb 17, 2015
    I stopped turning them on day 18 I didn't up the humidity though

10. BonRae67

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Sometimes they just dont hatch. I set 6 to hatch around the 10th. None of mine hatched. I didn't open them to see why. They just gave up. Did you candle them on day 18 to see if they were moving? They may have been quitters before day 18. We can learn from this and try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by