My bag of scratch just growled at me

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Imp, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So I noticed for the past week or so that the top of the bags of scratch and pellets have been folded down. I don't usually do this, but who knows.
    Today I give my chickens some leftover oatmeal. At first they look at it like it's poisonous, so I think I'll sprinkle some scratch on it.
    I walk into the shed and reach for the turned down edge of the bag of scratch, and it growls at me. Jerk my hand back and wonder why is there an angry cat in the scratch. I pull the bin a little closer to the door, in the light, and hear another growl. So I grab a broom and use the handle to open the bag. I see something gray, furry and growling coming out of the bag at 50 mph.
    I'm backpedaling out of the shed, screaming like a little girl. Then I see the monster that is about to eat me is a squirrel.
    I understand that squirrels would like to eat scratch, but why would it pull the top of the bag in around it? Could it be nesting in the bag?

Imp- In my defense it was a big big squirrel. [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    [​IMG]

It probably just folded down when the squirrel went in. I would think the squirrel would 'climb' down into the bag, rather than just jump in it.

Why is it that no one ever has a video camera when things like this happen?? [​IMG]

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG] That is too funny! I'm glad the squirrel did you no harm.

4. TarzantheChickenMan

TarzantheChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2009
    Guthrie, MN
    [​IMG] never hea0rd of a squirl growling lol i read your post thinking it was a raccoon lol thanks for the smile [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Maybe the little fuzzy rodent thought he found the perfect place to camp for the winter.

Glad you made it through this ordeal alive Imp.

6. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I burst out laughing as soon as I read it was a squirrel!! Too darn funny! Be careful though, those suckers bite!

We keep everything we store outside in empty kitty litter buckets. Nothings getting into those.

Laurie

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It probably just folded down when the squirrel went in. I would think the squirrel would 'climb' down into the bag, rather than just jump in it.

Probably so, Just odd that I've noticed the folded down bag edges for the last few days.

I'm glad the squirrel did you no harm

Got bit by a squirrel about 10 years ago. They have teeth like razors.

never heard of a squirl growling

Had one of the outside cats catch one a few years ago. It screamed exactly like an eagle. The cat had it under the deck. I was looking on the roof for the eagle. And loud.

This one sounded just like an angry cat.

Imp​

8. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Squirrels are evil little beasts. We had two living in our attack for a long time. They enjoyed tap dancing all night not letting anyone sleep.
    Dad and squirrels don't get along at all. He hunts them, and every time he walks out the door (Being as he's the only one strong enough to shut the door hard enough this could happen) acorns from squirrel nests on the roof come down and pelt him on the head. [​IMG] It's pretty funny.

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I love all animals. But I swear. Squirrels are little, stealing, demons in fur out to rule the world! [​IMG]

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    They're just evil rats with fuzzy tails, trying to make us think they're cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by