My bald roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LittleHouseOnThePrairie, Oct 27, 2010.

1. LittleHouseOnThePrairie

LittleHouseOnThePrairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Okay, I need some help. My nine year old is frantic about this and I am at a loss. We have been raising 12 chicks who are now 3 months old. They are a variety of breeds and one is a white crested black polish who turned out to be a roo (oops). My hubby says get rid of him but my son loves him (okay, so do I!). The problem is the 11 hens. Although they have been together forever, the hens are now plucking his head feathers out and this leaves blood from the feather shafts. Not only is he now bald, the bloody look freaks out my son and I am getting more and more worried about the possibility that they will try to kill him. The mix well and none of the hens attack. It's more like they will be sitting around or milling around and one of the hens will just reach over and grab at him. I have increased their protein by providing yogurt and oatmeal for their breakfast and they get leftover meat scraps or scrambled eggs throughout the week. They have a large coop and run with lots of perches to play on. What else can I try and do I need to totally remove him from the flock?

2. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    well if it were me I would take him out until he healed, is he the only polish they probably think they are grooming him, I acquired an injured hen this summer and she was missing loads of feathers from the roosters, the ones on the back are only growing in now, I think it has to do with molting that they are coming in. when his feathers do come back if they start doing it again I would trim the crest to make it look normal to the other chickens, they don't know those feathers are supposed to be there.

3. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Yep, my hens do the same to my WC Polish roo. Poor Monty- he just lets them pick away! I'm going to order some Pick No More and see if that helps till he molts and grows 'em back. They don't really seem to be injuring him at all and they are not aggressive about it. I think they just go for the "odd" look. It's different to them. I agree it is not the most appealing look, tho!

4. LittleHouseOnThePrairie

LittleHouseOnThePrairie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I never even thought about giving Einstein a "haircut." Guess its worth a try! I'd also like to know if Pick No More works. I just tried Rooster Booster and it only works for a day...then they start plucking away again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by