1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My bantam chicken has swollen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nrscott, Aug 7, 2014.

1. nrscott

nrscott Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2014
    I have 6 chickens, 5 buff brahma and 1 bantam. The bantam chicken has been healthy until the last couple of days I've noticed it wasn't acting right. I let these chickens roam around the yard and they go in and out of their shelter as they please so I don not pay much attention to them I just give them fresh water everyday and feed them. I saw the chicken away from all the others so I walked up to it and it didn't run away as usual. It just sat there. I reached down and picked it up and it didn't even jump. Its feet are swollen up and one has turned black/blue and its eyes can't open. I have seen pictures of bumblefoot but this looks worse and with its eyes how they are I'm not sure what's up. Help????[​IMG][/IMG]

2. nrscott

Aug 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    SERIOUSLY ???

4. nrscott

Aug 7, 2014
    Yes. I don't know what is wrong with it. I've never seen anything like it

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Has there been any sneezing, wheezing, gurgling, bubbles in the eyes? If so, she could possibly have a respiratory disease. However I don't know of any respiratory disease that would cause swelling of the feet and head unless it were a combination of coryza, MG/MS, but again you'd see other symptoms that I've mentioned. Gout or MS can cause feet to swell. I suspect she may have been bitten or stung, or possibly eaten/swallowed something venomous like a bee, spider, wasp...not sure. If it was something venomous, your main issue would be her ability to breathe. You can give her 1/4cc childrens benadryt orally for 24 hours only. Do not overdose using childrens Benadryl.

6. nrscott

Aug 7, 2014
    It is not sneezing or wheezing. It does not look like the eyes are infected just swollen. Also the one really bad toe that is pretty much black, does not have a nail on it so the only thing I could say about that is maybe the skin grew over it or swelled over it

7. stickybunz

stickybunz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    Could it be an allergic reaction???

8. stickybunz

stickybunz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    I would go with the children's Benadryl idea. Any port in a storm !! Good luck

9. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Quote:
    This is good to know as I have a goodly amount of bees around my house but I need clarification... do you mean 1/4cc per 24hrs or a 1/4cc single dose and then let the chips fall where they may?
    Thanks,

10. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Hope your feathered friend gets well soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by