My Bantam Cochin is upset or broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aquarices, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Aquarices

Aquarices Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2016
    I went into the nesting box to gather eggs this afternoon, and my bantam cochin was still in there way past her normal rise and shine time. I go to pet her and she turned and pecked me and started *screaming*. She will usually come out of the coop if i shake my treat tin, but she hasn't come out at all. I'm not too worried as she's probably broody, but I can't get under her to tell if an egg is under there. I'll share this video and you guys tell me what you think. *side note * That first swing and miss wasn't as hard as she made it seem. She was already making that screaming sound the first time I tried to approach her.

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Many of mine will peck at me while they are on the nest. She could be broody or close to going broody, she will make a repetitious clucking when off the nest if broody, puff up and screech. Being a Cochin it's inevitable at some point.

3. Aquarices

May 12, 2016
    For the past two days I caught her raising her arms, so to speak, and flapping while screeching. She would do it quickly for a second or two then it was over, so...you might be on to something.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I currently have 6 broody bantam sitting on eggs, they are feisty.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's broody or working on it.

Decide how you're going to manage her. Do you want chicks? If not, research breaking a broody hen. If so, are you going to have her hatch eggs or are you going to graft babies to her in a few weeks?

6. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    She's broody, if you want her to hatch chicks just reach under her and see what she;s sitting on and mark them so you can remove new eggs. I use a sharpie and just draw a line all the way around the egg to make it easier to see the mark She will be upset while your messing with her eggs but will settle down after you stop so don't worry about it. You don't want her to set on any eggs that weren't under her from the start because once the first ones hatch she will most likely leave the nest and and any half developed egg won't make it. And just a side note it's harder for her to peck your hand when it's under her so just go for it the longer you take the more time she has to get you. I had a bantam cochin that would take out little chunks of skin if you messed aroud with her so your girl's not to bad.

7. Aquarices

May 12, 2016
    Thanks for the replies! I don't have a roo so no baby chicks in our future. I'm gonna have to break her when I confirm her broodiness. I'll leather glove a hand and reach under her this evening to see if eggs are underneath.

8. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most require no eggs and will happily sit on nothing.

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    If she's not going to hatch anything the sooner you break her the better. It's easier to break them when they first get started than after they really get into it.

10. Aquarices

May 12, 2016
    As expected, I reached under her this morning and found her sitting on these...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by