My Bantam Cochin's first clutch! Mine too. Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kimber, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Kimber

Kimber Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    I noticed my little Bantam hen hadn't come out the coop in a few days, and low and behold she was setting on eggs!!! Of course I wasn't expecting that and did a "hurry up and learn about broody chickens" lesson from BYC!

I have only 2 nest boxes and the other chickens were laying thier eggs in there on top of hers. After a few days I figured I better mark the ones she had been setting on and take the rest out. I'm not sure but I think there were a few days between some of the eggs in the clutch. We started out with eight but over the last week I would check her and find one egg broken with a half developed baby inside:(

After 3 days of this, I finally moved momma and 5 of the eggs left, into a new nest in a rabbit hutch. She tolerated the transition fine.

Yesterday, day 19 I heard cheeping!!!! And THERE it was, the cuteset little black chick looking out under momma. I cried!!!

Today another egg has a small hole in it and I hear little noises coming from it.

Questions:

How long does it ususally take for the chick to come out of the egg?

And: I have a new clutch of eggs I've been putting aside for the past few days to put under her after she's hatched all the chicks. I'm hoping to do a second, more controlled hatch this time, IF she will still feel broody. Should I put the new eggs under her while she is still hatching the original clutch or wait until all have hatched. I have a brooder ready to put the chicks in as soon as a few more hatch out. I don't want them to be lonely.

This is so exciting, I think I'm in touble now, having caught the hatching fever!!!!

Thanks for all your help, ya'll are great!

2. chickmomma30

chickmomma30 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Odessa MO
    congrats on the brooding hen. And your successful first hatch. pics where are the pics lol.

3. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Ohh, pics!!!! Good grief in my excitement I didn't even THINK of that. Okay,
    going for the camera...but ...uh how does one post pictures?

Yes I am really new at the puter/picture thing too!

4. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    Ok, no need to save eggs for her next clutch now, once the chicks hatch, she will get up and not be setting until they are old enough (in her opinion) to be on thier own. If you do put more under her, and she does sit, it will only be for a few days, and then you will have partially developed chicks, and no setting hen. I know it is exciting, but take a deep breath, and give Momma Hen a chance with this batch. Enjoy the little peeps, and YES, we want pictures! [​IMG]

5. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    Oh my goodness, I am SO in trouble. I LOVE this!!!!

I have 3 sweet little chicks, one black and 2 silver/blue perhaps with the last egg pipping. Momma is so happy and it looks like she is trying to help number 4 break free! So far nothing with #5. I was going to hold it up close to my ear, but Momma isn't to keen on my picking it up at this point, so I'm gonna leave her alone.

By the way, WHAT happens to the shell? When I checked there were a few pieces that I removed but one of the chicks was still half in the last shell. Now it's gone.

I think I am addicted. I'm hoping my other Bantam Cochin will go broody next!

6. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    Even if she does set the new eggs it is not good to you hens health. It takes a lot out of a hen to set a clutch. She needs to have a break. When they set they don't eat or drink as much as when not setting. So her body needs to recover. If you pick her up you can tell that she has lost weight.

7. hiddenmagnolia

hiddenmagnolia Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    South Louisiana
    The hen usually eats the shell for the calcium.

8. Kimber

Jul 23, 2007
    SW Florida
    I'm going to do just this clutch with this hen and hope my other Bantam will go broody next.

The last two eggs have holes in them. Only one has any peeping going on. The other is completly quiet. I hope it's okay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by