My Bantam Cochins.....Pics....Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Dec 8, 2009.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Hi all,

I got hatching eggs from Lynne at Wingshadows Hacienda in southern CA. She breeds them and is very respected. Two of my three have turned out to be roos [​IMG] so I have to find new homes for them. They look gorgeous to me but I know nothing about cochins. Are they worthy of my selling them or are they of a free-to-good-home quality. I have one red cochin roo and a buff pair. They are four weeks old, iving in a rabbit hutch with three silkies in the chicken coop under a small heat lamp at night. Anybody mind taking a look and rendering an opinion?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks,

Mary

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Awwww! So far so good! Banty cochins mature much faster than the LF- but you'll still have to wait a few months to really tell.

3. iluvmychicks

iluvmychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I agree with HappyMtn, it's really to early to tell the quality. The only thing I notice is the toe feathering looks a little sparse, the toe feathering need to go all the way down the middle toe. They are still young, the toe feathering can develop slowly so just keep an eye on that. Good buff color has no black what so ever so keep an eye on the black I see developing, that can sometimes moult out with adult feathers. They are cuties:)

Shari

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I know nothing about cochins....just wanted to say that they're cute.

5. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Thanks,

I think I'll put a listing on Craigslist for them and just ask a few bucks. If I keep them any longer I'll grow too attached and I just don't have room and can't keep a bunch of roos on a half acre hobby farm in the city. Maybe I should place an ad here on BYC for a local pick up. At least i would know they were going to good chicken people?

Thanks again.

Mary

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Oh I'd take them in a heartbeat! I have a whole coop of banty cochin roos. They are my favorite- always sound like they're crowing into a tin can [​IMG] I don't have any reds either. Wish you were closer!

7. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:I wish you were too! I hope somebody local decides to pick them up.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2009
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    very cute I have 5 bantam cochin and one is red she is 22 weeks now and really starting to look grown up though very small, I hope you can find a good home for them there are quite a few from Cal. in BYC so hopefully someone will get in touch.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm local!! I'm local!!! [​IMG]

They're SO cute! Could the little girl be kept with my 8 standard chickens? Would it be okay? My oldest is 9 wks and youngest is 6 weeks.....

10. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Check your PM's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by