My Bantam Delawares

tnchickenut

It's all about the Dels!
9 Years
10 Years
Jan 24, 2010
Englewood, TN
I guess this is the right place, Mods... feel free to move this.........

I want to know what you all think would be a fair price for my extra BANTAM Delaware cockerels. They are 4 months old, and some are better quality then others but Bantam Dels are so rare I feel like any decent specimen should be worth something.

I was thinking $20 - $25.... too much? Too little!?!? I am taking them to the poultry trade on Saturday, so let me know what you all think I should ask.

I'll post in a minute with a picture.

bantamdel1-1.jpg

Quality may be more important to you than to others. What is the chance you will run across someone that is wanting a bantam Delaware roo? Not too many people interested in them, if I understand correctly. Personally, I hatch so many rooster out that I am happy to be rid of them. I give away most of my extras (quality or not).

Good luck!

Quote:
I also dont expect many people to be willing to pay much if anything for them, espcially a single roo, if it were pairs, then the price may be a bit higher though, becuase they are so rare like you said, its not like people have bantam Delaware hens to breed with them so they would basicly be good for pets if someone wanted one, but thats about it. IMHO

Well, locally, there is a surge in people wanting Delawares... and locally there is always been a greater number of people wanting bantams (why, I'm not really sure to be honest). I guess that is why I'm a bit confused as to what to ask for them. I KNOW there are a few people who know and want them locally, but will they be there? I don't know.

I guess I could ask top $ and adjust accordingly.

BTW... full grown in the pic... they are just slightly taller than a sebright. CUTE!

you should charge whatever you want for him.if someone seems intersted but hesitant,then you can always come down on the price.when you give away roosters then you get people to just take them cause they are free.they don't really want them and it may not be the best home for the guy.

Quote:
True, maybe you could start higher and work out a price if someone is interested but cant quite give your asking price. Are they from Dick Horstmans lines ? He is the only breeder I know of that has them.

Quote:
God didn't I learn that lesson the hard way! It's another reason I want to go a little high on the price. I gave some roosters for free to a woman who told me how animal friendly and vegitarian she was, how big her land was they ranged on, how many hens she had.... 4 days later, my roosters were for sale online. She scammed me and as a result, no more free roosters. I rather eat them then worry about if someone is lying or not. If they cost more, "flippers" won't bother with them... it helps.

No, they are not from him. I'll be working other blood into them. Or maybe I'll abandon these as breeders all together if the next place has better stock. Lord knows I have ALOT of birds who are not bred at all but just get to live here because I like them. lol.

Last edited:
I guess to answer your question, one must know .... Do you really want to get rid of them? It seems there are stipulations with getting rid of them? Am I understanding this correctly?

I know some of mine were sold (that I gave away). I was rid of them, and that was my goal. If someone wanted to eat them, or use them as breeders .... oh well, they were no longer mine, and I no longer had to feed and care for them. I have enough to worry about with the ones I keep!

Back
Top Bottom