my bantam hen crop seems unually large.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bucky52, Feb 22, 2014.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    she had been eating some shredded lettuce I threw in the run this morning.than she seemed to be choking on something.she was gasping and making a horrible noise.i picked her up and turned her upside down and shook her in case something was stuck in her throat.i than looked down her throat I did not see anything.i took her in the house and DH put some drops of water in her mouth.and I rub her throat.and she seemed to be OK except she sound horse.when she made a noise.after I got home from work.i went down to check on her and she seemed fine.I went down to the coop tonight to make sure everyone was accounted for.and I notice how large her crop was.we gave her some olive oil drops and I massage her crop.i did check her breath and that did not smell.What would cause her crop to be so large.and what do I need to do.

any ideas as what could be wrong.
    thanks Bucky.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is the crop large and hard, or is it normal like food in it, or squishy like a balloon? I would check it in the morning first thing when it should normally be empty. Oil does't really accomplish a lot in crop problems, but giving lost of water and massaging help. Impacted crop can occur from long strands of grass or hay, and sour crop can happen after a long period of impacted crop or sometimes from a fungal or bacterial infection. Here are some links to help you:
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues.html
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

3. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks.I checked her this morning,before she came off the roost and her crop is normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by