My Bantam hen is broody at night only and lays eggs....is she crazy!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chiko, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    My Japanese bantam hen Anna hatched some chicks about a month ago. THEY abandoned her. And she decided to set again but she's still laying. Is that normal? Will she soon stop and keep brooding? I'm confused.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Are you sure that other chickens are not adding eggs to her nest?

3. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be unusual. Broodies will steal others' eggs, and others will climb in the nest and lay, or lay in "her" nest while she's on a break. Chickens can tuck an egg under their "chin" and carry it.

4. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    My only 2 other hens laying are a RIR and an Australorp. I'm pretty sure they don't lay teeny tiny white eggs.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She may not be completely over the edge yet. Some work up to it and will start sitting a day or two before they quit laying. I've had hens cluck around like they're broody and hog nests, but not stay on them all night, for a month or more, before they really got down to business.

6. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    The other thing I forgot to mention was that she's only broody at night. During the day she clucks around in her broody voice, doing everything on a chicken's-to-do-list. Then she makes the sound a mother hen makes to call her chicks...and pecks at some rice or corn.....At night when I go put my RIR in (Her leg is hurt so she has a hard time jumping up to the coop or using the ramp) I see the bantam in the nest box, all puffed up and shreaking. When I remove her she goes right back on the dummy eggs. Then in the morning it all happens again.....Is she crazy!?

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like her hormones are telling her she is raising chicks. She's, well, unusual!

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I agree with previous post. She's acting like she's got new chicks. Maybe traumatized because her first brood didn't want to be mothered! Just wait it out, maybe she'll get 'normal' again. Or, if you want to try it, buy her some new chix from the feed store.

9. Chiko

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Quote:She is very unusual!!! I'm so confused I want to get her eggs if she's really broody but if she wants to raise chicks, I can easily get her some of those to!

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I would get the poor thing a couple of chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by