My Bantam hen is cold and shocky

backyardbirder4

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2015
La Plata MD
I have a three year old Bantam hen, she went through a really hard molt this fall and despite extra protein in her diet (and extra treats on the side) it took her a long time before she finished.She finally grew her feathers back although all the missing feathers grew in white(she is black and red). We thought the worst was over. She's always really chipper, scurrying around, running circles around her bigger coop mates, but this afternoon when I got home from work she was laying cold and apathetic under the feeder. Her bff sounding the alarm is what actually got my attention.
I've been keeping her snuggled warm in a blanket for the past few hours, and shes warmed up a bit but she doesn't seem to be generating a lot of her own heat. She is a little responsive if moved but not nearly as much as normal. I have checked for all the usual culprits. No exterior perasites, no obvious wounds or trauma, and breathing is normal and unimpeded. no one else in the flock has exhibited similar behavior and to the best of my knowledge no one has had alarming stools.

Are there any suggestions as to what may have caused this state in my little girl? She's always been a tough cookie, it kills me to see her like this. Home remedies are preferred, but if the situation turns dire I will seek out a vet.

Sounds like she's dying. How is she doing?

I would assume something internally is wrong with her. Not much you can do but make her comfortable. A necropsy could tell you why after she passes, otherwise it's all guessing unfortunately. So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom