My bantam "hens" grew to be Roos!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Smoochie, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Hi! I'm new but not to the forum as a long time lurker.

My husband brought home 4 Japanese Bantam chicks two months ago. The breeder gave us 3 pullets and 1cockerel (maybe). We then only had 6 Sussex chicks in the coop and no roosters. I grew up with chickens and hate roosters as I was chased by them as a child and my dad was always attacked. So when my virgin chicken owner husband brought home a possible roo I was not happy. Well you can imagine my disappointment when 3 of them grew to be roosters. We also since then added the Japanese Bantams real mom (they were all her litter), a Yearling Sebright and a Silver Spangled Hamburg pullet. One is already rooing all day and obnoxious (it is going back ASAP) but Hubby wants to keep the other quieter nicer two. QUESTION: Will the two small Japanese roosters excessively mate the four small hens? Will they be able to mate the 6 standard Sussex? And something just doesn't seem right about a son mating his mom...lol :rolleyes:

Thanks

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Generally small roosters cause less wear and tear on hens than do bigger clumsy roosters. Try it with two and if it doesn't work out - one can go. They will at least attempt to mate the Sussex. As far as 'chicken sex' - well the roosters' motto is if it holds still long enough, give it a try. Can include but not limited to feet, buckets, plastic jugs, rocks, stumps, the family dog.

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Thank-you for replying. I will give them a chance then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by