My bantam "hens" grew to be Roos!

Smoochie

Songster
7 Years
Sep 18, 2012
CANADA
Hi! I'm new but not to the forum as a long time lurker.

My husband brought home 4 Japanese Bantam chicks two months ago. The breeder gave us 3 pullets and 1cockerel (maybe). We then only had 6 Sussex chicks in the coop and no roosters. I grew up with chickens and hate roosters as I was chased by them as a child and my dad was always attacked. So when my virgin chicken owner husband brought home a possible roo I was not happy. Well you can imagine my disappointment when 3 of them grew to be roosters. We also since then added the Japanese Bantams real mom (they were all her litter), a Yearling Sebright and a Silver Spangled Hamburg pullet. One is already rooing all day and obnoxious (it is going back ASAP) but Hubby wants to keep the other quieter nicer two. QUESTION: Will the two small Japanese roosters excessively mate the four small hens? Will they be able to mate the 6 standard Sussex? And something just doesn't seem right about a son mating his mom...lol :rolleyes:

Thanks

welcome-byc.gif
Generally small roosters cause less wear and tear on hens than do bigger clumsy roosters. Try it with two and if it doesn't work out - one can go. They will at least attempt to mate the Sussex. As far as 'chicken sex' - well the roosters' motto is if it holds still long enough, give it a try. Can include but not limited to feet, buckets, plastic jugs, rocks, stumps, the family dog.

Back
Top Bottom