My bantam rooster sings the egg song. Two questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mskayladog, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

In fact he is louder and better at it then the hens lol he sits of the edge of the nest and sings away what is up with that?

Also will the poor guy ever get any? We have full sized hens he grabs their necks and gos for it but he is a humping thier wings.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, my roosters sing it louder than the hens. It's their way of taking the attention away from the hens - they are protectors of the flock. It can also be a warning call if it is sung with more intensity.

He will have to work hard for mating right now. Once he gets older and takes the lead, it will be easier for him to mate.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    My rooster also sings along with the hens. Only problem is he sings so enthusiastically we think something's wrong and keep running outside to see what the problem is [​IMG] I can't tell you how many times my DH came back inside saying "It's only an egg"

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    We do that too sometimes. I will actually sit and listen for a couple minutes - if I only hear a hen or 2 and the rooster, then I don't worry. But if more of them are squawking, I'm out the door with my dog in a flash.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    We've had too many predators, so my chickens and I are paranoid. So when they make noise I (or DH) go running. I just wish they'd stop getting hysterical every time a bird flies over! And since we moved in next to MIL with her 3 cats we're getting lots of exercise. I suppose I can say we get rewarded with eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by