my bantam will not walk or eat/drink on her own. lost all her weight!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alInaschickens, Oct 2, 2013.

1. alInaschickens

alInaschickens New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Hi! We have a dearly loved pet chicken "chubby" she started acting funny about a week ago, just slower. i took her to the vet, and they said to worm her.I did that, but not sure how much water she drank, and how much i got in her, now shes just super weak, no ability to stand or eat on her own

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We could use more information to help you. How old is the chicken and how long have you had her? What worm medicine did you use? Is she having diarrhea? She could possibly have coccidiosis. Corid (amprollium) would be the treatment, but she would need to drink it or be tube fed.

3. GingerJane

GingerJane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Agree with

Could you also put a picture of her? It would be nice to see how she looks, it sounds like she needs to be observed. Many can vary.

4. alInaschickens

alInaschickens New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    She is a four year old bantam buff cochin. She is my avatar pic (healthy) ill post a pic now.no diarrhea. Normal poop. Paralysis is all the way to legs and wings now. Comb and waddle are red. Crop mostly empty bc we have to hand feed and water her... 7 days now... layer. ..corn...seed...some rice cheese mealworms...clover and grasses... ( normally they free range) I used the pink wormer tsp in gallon of h2o that vet gave... that was 3 days ago. She is not eggbound. I used ky and pinky finger gloved... nothing. I can't believe it to be mereks... bc she's 4! - and I would think age immunity...
    Please help. We love her.[​IMG]

5. alInaschickens

alInaschickens New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Oh yes
    .. we had her since she was a chick. We have 3 other hens... a banty seabright...polish golden....and just a nice egg layer barn chicken...;)

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I really am not an expert on Mareks, but it sure sounds like it. I believe any chicken can get Mareks at any age they are exposed to it. Have you added chickens lately? Or have they been exposed to other chickens? There is an active thread right now here on the emergency forum where people with Mareks flocks can answer questions. Here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/741957/not-an-emergency-mareks-in-the-flock

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Why do you suspect she has paralysis in legs and wings? Is it b/c she cannot/will not walk,if this is so,it may be a result of her being ill and not necessary paralysis.
    First i would make sure she is warm(you can use a hot water bottle,place a pillow case over it,place beside her)give her aspirin( baby 81mg or reg 325mg)for pain/swelling,dose is 25mg per lb of body weight,you can sprinkle over feed,but my preference is crush and place in water. If she has not been eating for a couple of days,you may want to start tube feeding her,it is very easy to do and there are several threads on this.

Check her crop for an impacted crop or sour crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by