My Bantams Are Behaving Strangly Help Please

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bantychicken, Nov 30, 2013.

1. bantychicken

bantychicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    So I have a very friendly and very tame Barrad Plymouth Rock Bantam rooster named Penguin and another Bantam, a very friendly and very tame hen whom we named High Hopes or Hope, whom I bought from a person who was selling his bantams. I had another Bantam hen who was skittish and not tame at all and was completely scared of people. Her name was Ebony. Me and my dad went up Friday to eat with my grandparents since we couldn't have Thanksgiving with them. Well my dads friend's sister (whom we got Penguin from as an egg because we hatch them straight from eggs so they are friendly) had some friendly females. I texted her saying we needed a friendly tame female. She texted back saying have one picked out. We picked up our new hen from her and named her Dusty. While driving home I texted her to explain why we needed another friendly hen. I mentioned Ebony (who is solid black) and how she wasn't tame enough for us. She said she wants and has been looking for a black hen because all she has is speckled Bantams. Well we told her she could have Ebony. So when we got home I had my dad hold Dusty while I caught Ebony and put her in a box to take her back up to her. I put Dusty in Penguin and Hopes pen and they both attacked her. Penguin was trying to mate with her but was still a little aggressive but Hope was aggressive no doubt. But the thing is Dusty is definitely a hen. The lady we got her from had the original two hen mothers and their children who were all the same age including Dusty and it was completely obvious to tell the roosters from the hens. Dusty looked just like the others that were hens so I know she is a hen. Its been two days and it progressed to where Dusty has to stay on the stoop off the ground where Penguin and Hope are. The food and water are down on the ground and I was watching them earlier and Dusty flew down from the stoop and onto the ground to drink and Penguin and Hope immediately went after her. I had to separately give her food and water. I don't know why they are doing this. Could someone please explain and help me find a solution?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    This is an integration issue - you cannot put new bird in with the established birds. Even hens will mount another hen(your new one) as a sign of dominance., or peck and bully her every chance they get. You need to divide their pen with a temporary wire partition. The new bird on one side, and the others on another. This way they get to see each other, and get familiar without attacking. Chickens have a pecking order and the newest, youngest, or weakest are usually at the bottom. That's why it is best to get the birds you want all at one time and hopefully from the same place, so maybe they will know each other.

It tricky putting one new bird in - sometimes it goes easier if you have 2 new birds (that know each other)and introduce them to the flock. Try reading thru the Chicken behaviors section in Raising Backyard chickens forum.

Your birds are just acting like chickens.

3. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland

See that's what is strange. I can see it being an integration issue but I had to do the same thing with Hope. I had Penguin and Ebony before I got Hope and when I introduced the two to her Penguin wasn't as nearly as aggressive nor was Ebony towards Hope and accepted her within an hour. And Hope isn't mounting her from what I'm seeing she is grabbing her feathers and jumping up and trying to scratch her with her claws. I'm afraid that they will kill her. I'm separating her from the two at night so nothing happens.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] What you are describing is sadly enough normal pecking order behavior. An established flock will generally attack any new birds added. The increase in aggression this time may be a factor of age. Chicken society is not a pretty thing.

5. bantychicken

Nov 30, 2013
    Salisbury, Maryland
    Thank you for everybodys help. I'm happy to say that Hopes aggression towards Dusty is fading little by little and Penguin has accepted Dusty as a member of his flock. Hopefully Hope will accept her fully.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your girls.

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You've received some good advice here, good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by