My Bantams do not eat any Veggies . Is that normal ?? Please help

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by confusedbanti, Jan 30, 2011.

1. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    I am new at this. We now have 3 white leghorn and 2 NH red Bantam Hens and Little Dave the Rooster. They moved in a little over a week ago. I tried to feed them Lettuce....no we don't like that. I tried Bread , they looked at me like I am a nut. [​IMG]
    They only want to eat those crumbles and scratch. What do I do ?? Is this normal ?

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    If you keep offering stuff they will bound to become curious and try something...mine didn't know what the heck that round thing that I hung in their coop was...they eventually figured out that cabbage is good replacement for all the grass, weeds, etc that they usually eat in the summer. Now they tear into it.

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:X2

4. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i know this sounds silly, but when i try to feed my birds a new dish, i make the "buck buck buck" noise that the roosters do to feed their hens... LOL... at least one of the hens will be interested, and once one starts eating, they all jump in...

should've seen yesterday when i threw in a giant hissing roach with my girls... once one took interest, they started playing giant roach soccer... LOL...

5. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I have noticed chickens raised on pure scratch type feeds (pellets/crumbles), in cages or enclosed areas, really have no interest in new food items. But if you give them enough time they seem to eventually figure it out.

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Birds are funny like that. If they have never been offered anything other than crumbles and scratch then they simply don't recognize the treats you've been offering as food. Just keep offering them (it's ok to just give them a little until they decide to try it so as not to waste too much) other foods and eventually they'll try it. You're bound to find something they really don't like, but you can't determine that they don't like it until you've offered it several times.

7. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:I'm learning this also! Being patient has helped me figure out what they like. They still won't eat anything green, except grass and weeds! But, I'll keep trying it.

8. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Mine weren't interested in lettuce, but love parsley, spinach and kale.
    I do agree w/ the others though, they just need to get accustomed to and curious about other foods.
    Why not put small bits on top of their feed? That might help...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:I totally agree that this works. I also tap next to the new thing like a hen would to show chicks what's good to eat. You could try feeding them mealworms. If it moves, they take interest for sure!

10. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:I totally agree that this works. I also tap next to the new thing like a hen would to show chicks what's good to eat. You could try feeding them mealworms. If it moves, they take interest for sure!

yeah, i forgot about the tapping... i tap on it, pick it up, and put it back down... works all the time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by