1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My bantams (Picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chickenbuddy, Nov 25, 2011.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Here's some pics of my mainly mutt bantams. The only pure breeds are the silkie and the quail antwerp belgian (which is the ancestor of nearly if not all the mutts [​IMG]).
    There were only four chickens in the coop at the beginning of this year, but they hatched two clutches since them (only one roo per clutch [​IMG]), quickly filling up the small a-frame coop. Luckily for them, they got moved into their new coop today, so everybody won't be cramped anymore.
    I might post some pics of them in their new coop tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] They're so cute!!

3. chickenbuddy

Jun 4, 2008
    Thanks! I'm really glad I was able to get the frizzle gene into the mix.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is the frizzle gene what gives some of those birds the spikey looking feathers?

5. chickenbuddy

Jun 4, 2008
    Yup, the curly feathers come from the frizzle gene.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Very nice,

Rancher

7. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Way cool and awesome shots! [​IMG]
    Are they all hatched from the silkie and the antwerp? They're so gorgeous <3

8. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

I can see your Quail/Silkie crosses! Very cute!

9. chickenbuddy

Jun 4, 2008
    Quote:Not all from the silkie, but all have antwerp blood. There is a lot of inbreeding.
    I had two black tailed white japanese roosters and two antwerp hens.
    They bred, and their offspring bred, and their offspring bred, etc., etc. I don't know how many different clutches we had, but unfortunately everybody got killed off eventually leaving great great great.... grandmother Clara-belle to outlive most of her offspring.
    One of her grandsons bred with her, the buff silkie, and a red frizzle cochin/golden sebright mix to produce all the pullets and cockerels in the picture.

10. TinkyFeathers

TinkyFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    Quote:Not all from the silkie, but all have antwerp blood. There is a lot of inbreeding.
    I had two black tailed white japanese roosters and two antwerp hens.
    They bred, and their offspring bred, and their offspring bred, etc., etc. I don't know how many different clutches we had, but unfortunately everybody got killed off eventually leaving great great great.... grandmother Clara-belle to outlive most of her offspring.
    One of her grandsons bred with her, the buff silkie, and a red frizzle cochin/golden sebright mix to produce all the pullets and cockerels in the picture.

Ah ok! Family history! I love those frizzles

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by