1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My banty cock is coughing and has a runny nose..help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WooingWyandotte, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Okay, I bought him yesterday....uh from the flea market. He was in a really small cage being crushed by birds 5 x his size, so I bought him along with a Old English bantam hen, and a tame 2 month old churkey???? [​IMG] Then I picked up a Golden Sebright pullet that one of my relatives gave to me.
    All of the mentioned are in a coop and run I made for the 'bantys'. A couple hours later I really started noticing his gurgly cough. He also has a runny nose with clear mucus. I separated him with his own food and water.
    I have never had a chicken with a cough or runny nose! What should I do? I put ACV in his water, as well in the water of the OEB, GS, and Churkey. I clearly need some help, any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

WW

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    You can try giving him some Duramycin in his water for a few days (changed daily). That is an antibiotic. Your feed store should have that, it's a powder in a bag. If any of my birds get under the weather like that, I always isolate them and do the antibiotic along with vitamins in their water for at least 3 days.

3. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Thanks! Does the feed store have the vitamins too? Were also going to give him yogurt with a bunch of probiotics...hopefully that'll help kill all the bad bacteria. And how contagious is this? Should I give him some DE...he has watery grass green poop. I'm wondering worms.

4. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Yes, the vitamins will be near the antibiotics...it's a powder too. His cough could be just from poor care.

5. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Yes, I don't think he has been well cared for, he doesn't look too great...how long will he have this cough?

6. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It's hard telling how long he'll have it. It may go away quickly or it may not-it's just one of those things kinda like a person [​IMG]

7. WooingWyandotte

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Hm, he also seems like he might have Mareks...he's been eating great, been very active, drinking...except his eyes are really weird. No disformed pupils...but his eyes are gold with chocolate mottles. How can I tell if a chicken is blind or not? I've tried pointing my index finger at his eye and slowly going towards his pupil...Oliver ignores it. Only when I go fast does he jump, which means he's probably not blind...but just want to check.

8. chicks4kids

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I don't know anything about Marek's. If I were you, I'd post a new thread in the Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures section on the forum.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by