1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My banty hen has decided to hatch eggs in the middle of winter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JimnTer, Feb 17, 2012.

1. JimnTer

JimnTer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    As the title says, one of my banty hens went broody near the end of January. I figured she was young and just being foolish, so I kept taking the eggs away. On the 29th she was still in the nest box with no eggs, but no intention of leaving either, so I brought 6 eggs down from the house and put them under her. This sunday will be day 21 and if it didn't get too cold in the chicken coop I should have some new chicks soon.

Now I have never seen a chicken set on eggs in the middle of winter before, so I'm not sure what I need to do with the chicks. Normally I would just let the hen do her thing and forget about it. Now, this time of year I keep the chickens locked in the coop, there is nothing in their run but snow anyway, no bugs to catch and no weeds or greens for me to pick and throw in to them. Is there anything different I should do or just let her take care of them as I would normally do?

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, SOP. Mom will handle it. Congrats......Pop

3. kovalines

kovalines Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    Avoid the chicks beeing on the snow and just let the mom do her job.

4. JimnTer

JimnTer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks guys, now I just have to wait and see if she actually hatches any out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by