My Banty Likes Snakes

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pw_quiltworks, Sep 11, 2009.

1. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Twice today I came across a grass snake. Just tiny ones maybe 5 or so inches. Well, I pick one up thinking the red stars would probably like it. Not a chance. That little buttless banty snatched it up and ran around the coop like you would not believe. She would not let the big girls have it. As I started to mow the grass I found another one about the same size and again I brought it to the coop with higher hopes maybe one of the red stars would get it first. NO DICE that banty had it got behind the feed container and ate it like it was nothing. Killed it in one peck. She really is a good bug hunter. The other ones are just stupid i think. They did try to steal it but I would not let them. That little banty got it fair and square so I stood in front of the banty so she could eat in peace. I watched in amazement because I really did not think chickens ate snakes. We don't have much for poisonous snakes here. I have never seen any. Just the kind that bite. But mostly grass snakes. Oh it was much fun today watching here with those snakes. Last weekend my dh put a large beetle in the coop and the red stars did not go near it but banty did. Ate it up. She is a real scrapper. She is the smallest and will eat anything. I have to make sure i have two feeders. I am afraid she will get left out. What fun chickens are.

2. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    My chickens have found small snakes a couple of times and gobbled them up, too! My bantam is a stubborn little stinker too! Gotta love the little guys (girls! lol) [​IMG]

3. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    my chickens like frogs.....[​IMG]

4. Bridget399

Bridget399 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    My chickens gobble up garter snakes all the time! [​IMG]

5. leearealake

leearealake Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    mine go after frogs and mice that try to nest under the houses or nest box , so fun to watch them tear up a mouse ,nice.[​IMG]

6. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:Yikkes that's gross. I wish mine would hunt mice we are loaded with them. [​IMG] The cat brings them in through the cat door and right in the bedroom. [​IMG] Have had many a night with dh chasing mice around with me as the cheering squad. [​IMG] Even had a flying squirrel that we let go. It was neat to watch it glide to the ground from the upstairs window. Sometimes the dog will get into the action and find the dead mice the cat has killed and not eaten and throw them around until i catch him. [​IMG]

Animals!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by