My Barn Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Vadgo, May 15, 2009.

1. Vadgo

Vadgo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    I built my coop a few weeks ago. It is inside our very old barn. It is not fancy or nice looking, but I think it is serviceable.

I have 20 chickens - 2 BR, and 1 BO that are 12/13 weeks old,
    The rest are 9 weeks old now - 2 Mottled Houdans, 3 German Spitzhaubens, 2 that are either phoenixes or yokohamas, 2 that I have no clue what they are. One is slow feathering and rumpless (though I can't be certain if it's part of the breed or if the cats nipped his butt), and DH says looks like a dinosaur.
    2 RIR banties, 2 black japanese bantams or BOEG bantams (can't tell which yet), and 2 blue rosecomb bantams. [​IMG]

I had 1 white cornish banty and another BO, but because of my stupid mistake, I lost them to my barn cats. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the south side of the barn. The coop will be built inside between the first two windows.

[​IMG]

I started building the walls. You can see one of the boarded up windows in this shot (and please overlook my lack of real framing skills)

[​IMG]

This shot shows the front of the finished coop (and cleaned barn to boot!)

And this one shows the new paint job on the barn.
    [​IMG]
    The two workable windows belong to the coop for some nice light and ventilation.

[​IMG]

On this corner, I will be building the roost poles.
    I repaired the windows and covered them on the outside with chicken wire, though I think I will upgrade to welded wire fabric this summer when I take the windows out for the summer.
    The side walls don't go all the way up, instead I left them open and covered them with chicken wire for ventilation. This is a very old very drafty barn, and it's nice that it keeps the drafts out, but has enough air movement to get fresh air circulating.

[​IMG]

You can barely see the door frame on the left of this picture. This is were I will be putting my next boxes. I am debating whether to put them inside the coop, or outside in the hallway of the barn to keep more of the space inside. Bu then, I'll be taking some of the space outside in the hallway. Maybe I'll compromise and have half of the nest sticking out. I want a door on the nests so I can reach eggs from outside the coop. (That is assuming they always lay their eggs in there!)

Since my porch was starting to smell like a barn, I moved the chickens in.

[​IMG]

Here are my girls (though because of my stupid mistake, I didn't close the door right and my cats ate one of the BO hens you see here. Sniff - RIP Daisy [​IMG] )

The little ones I kept in their kennel brooder inside the coop to keep the older girls from getting too mean.
    [​IMG]

I let them out for a little bit every night for about a week, then took the kennel out and they were nice to each other.

This weekend I will do the roosts and start working on the next boxes.

2. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Well, fancy framing or not, you've done an excellent job.

I made a "Poultry Palace" for my 2 ducklings and 2 goslings in a similar manner. Most of the framing had been done (it had been used as a storage area) -- I did all of the rest with MINIMAL help from my Dad. I've had the scratches from the chicken wire to prove it!!!

The hardware cloth on the window openings is the way to go, from what I've read here on BYC, and I have it on my windows as well.

You've done a really nice job --- you should be proud of yourself!

Gwen

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG] Looks GREAT!!

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    You're Lucky!! I would love to have a barn like that at our place!! Good Job!!!

5. PIO-PIO

PIO-PIO Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    POINCIANA, FL
    wow. what a nice barn. I love it. it would be great to give them so much space.
    GREAT JOB!

6. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! I LOVE old barns....that is why we built a barn style coop , I guess....[​IMG]
    You have a great setup!! [​IMG]

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Great job. Amazing what a coat of paint can do.

8. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Nice coop and barn [​IMG]

9. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Nice digs.

10. farmerjill

farmerjill Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2009
    That looks great. I can't really tell from the pics, but it looks like you might have only chicken wire running from the top of the walls to the rafters. Our local raccoons, which are nearly impossible to keep out of these big old barns, can scramble up bare walls and rip through chicken wire like it's not even there. You might want to layer and screw in some hardware cloth over top of it, even though it will be a huge pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by