1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

MY BARNAVELDER A STRANGE BIRD

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by treetrunks, Jul 30, 2013.

1. treetrunks

treetrunks In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    SHE IS ONLY 26 WEEKS BUT SHE IS SO ANTISOCIAL I CAGED HER WITH OTHERS HER OWN AGE AND SHE BEAT THEM UP, SHE WONT EAT WITH THE REST OF THEM AND GOES TO ROOST IN A TREE. IT CONCERS ME BECAUSE WE GET SEVERE FROSTS AND SNOW HERE. I THINK I HAVE TO PAIR HER OFF WITH AN OLDER BIRD AND IN A RUN TO MAKE HER HAVE SHELTER., I DONT WANT TO FIND FROZEN TO A BRANCH OR HER COMB DESTROYED FROM FROSTBITE. SHE HAS ISSUES THATS FOR SURE. sorry caps were on

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    I would expect some tussling to go on while they set up a pecking order. How long was she with that flock? Was she the only one that was introduced at that time? It takes time for a hen to become truly part of the flock. If she hadn't been imprinted, that the coop was her home to sleep in then, yes she will sleep where she pleases. If you can catch her and put her in the coop and repeat each night until she gets the idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: