My Barnevelder Flock, Finally!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by wthchristi, Aug 3, 2010.

1. wthchristi

wthchristi Chick-A-Palooza

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    I believe I have finally put together my barnevelder flock (at least til next year, lol). Three of my pullets and one of my roos are from Kelly Cratty lines and my other 4 pullets I bought directly from Erhard Weihs (Kummer Poultry Farm). The are all 5-6 months old now and I hope are turning into a nice set of birds. I am so grateful that I was able to buy my birds directly from Mr. Weihs, his birds are absolutely amazing and his knowledge endless. I learned ALOT in only 2 hours.

I was hoping for better pics, but they were not being cooperative. [​IMG] Please tell me what you think! Am I headed in the right direction?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    What a pretty crew![​IMG]

3. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I don't know much about Barnevelders, but those are lovely birds. They actually resemble my Dark Cornish Hens a little.

I would love to know a little more about them, such as:

What color egg do they lay and how often.

What are their personalities like and are they dual purpose, meat or egg breed?

4. wthchristi

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    The barnevelders are a dual purpose bird. They lay a dark brown egg like a maran or welsummer (not as dark as a bcm, though) and lay year round. They are supposed to be very cold hardy. They lay consistently but not as many eggs as a utility type chicken.

This is my first time with these and I absolutely LOVE there personality. They are gentle and friendly. I just went from 3 to 1 roo and they rarely fought. I have ALOT of chickens (different breeds) and they are probably the sweetest besides my silkies and cochins.

I think they make great eye candy. [​IMG]

5. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Well that says alot about their personality. Nice is always good to have in the flock. And dark eggs... very good. Where do they originate from do you know?

6. wthchristi

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    The Barnevelder originated in Barneveld, Netherlands (Holland). In the mid-1800s brown eggs were preferred to white, so cross-breeding was used to develop a hardy breed of dark brown egg layers. The breed was standardized just before World War I.

I hope I am giving correct information, as I had to look this up. [​IMG]

7. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Sorry, I am not quizzing you, just curious. I enjoy it when people are enthused about their birds and it makes me jump in! I didn't want to re post but I had to go look in my APA book.

I wanted to know if that was partridge pattern (and I am not the best at feather patterns but learning) and it is partridge. I think a double laced partridge (or a stippled partridge...?)

Anyway, congratulations on your beautiful flock!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Erhard is a wonderful gentleman and he has tons of knowledge and I know he got good birds!

At least you got a very good start, better than the hatchery kinds!

I am not sure where Erhard got his original Barnvelders but he does import sometimes from Canada or out in the East Coast for some good ones. Good Barnvelders are hard to come by.

There is a forum of Barnvelders in here.....the egg colors still need work but with determination and time and money, one could go for darker eggs. If I remember correctly what Tailfeathers said, they do lay nice but not as often as Leghorns.

Glad you got them from him!

9. wthchristi

Jun 14, 2009
    Kent
    We are trying to learn as much as we can about this wonderful breed so we can do right by them. They are so beautiful.

Erhard was wonderful!!! His birds (all of them) are to die for.

Thank you for the nice comments.

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I got some beautiful Welsummer Bantams from him and he packed the eggs beautifully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by