My Barred Rock has a cold? Or something more?

chickenluv

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Sterling IL
Hi everybody, its been a while since I've been on
smile.png

But anyway, today I noticed my 7mo Barred Rock pullet, was moving around the coop really slowly, and I picked her up her nose was running, just a clear fluid. When I pet or hold her she closes her eyes, and just sits there in your arms. Nothing else seems to be wrong with her, she eats and drinks, and her poo is a little runny, but it seems to be normal. She just moves about really slow and lazy like, and her nose is running a clear fluid.
hmm.png
I gave her a little Poultry Quench vitamin to her beak, and I have Avia Charge 2000 in the big coop water, because my older hens were molting, and most of the pullets have started laying, and I thought thy could use a little boost. Should I be doing anything else for her? What do you guys think she has?
hu.gif

Thanks!
big_smile.png

Hello!

She could just have a respiratory illness. (Sort of like a cold). I would isolate her from the flock, because she is probably contagious, and give her some duramayacin in her drinking water for appx 10 days. (Just remember, if she's laying eggs, that you can't eat the eggs for two weeks after she's done taking her meds.)

I also put vitamins/electrolites in the drinking water as well.

Good luck to you,
Sharon

Chickenluv,

If this is respiratory illness (and sinus discharge usually does indicate respiratory illness), you might be able to quell the symptoms with antibiotics as chicmom suggested, but she will be contagious for life, and she will be a carrier of the disease.

Many, including myself, would recommend you cull her. I'm very sorry. This is to protect the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom