1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Barred Rock Hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Larry82052, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Larry82052

Larry82052 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2012
    Idalou,Texas
    My Barred Rock hens are 2 months old.How long will it be before they start laying.I am feeding the small layena pellets that are 16% protein! Larry

2. weshard

weshard Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Milaca, MN
    At about 5 months they should be laying. From my experience with other breeds.

3. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Larry - you have 2-3 months to go. The Layena layer feed is not for girls that young. The calcium for egg production in the feed can damage the kidneys. I feed my youngsters the Start and Grow or Flock Raiser... depending. If you read the back of the feed bag it will show a graph of when to introduce Layer rations.
    hope that helps!

4. Larry82052

Apr 8, 2012
    Idalou,Texas
    OK thank you Applegal,I will get some to feed them,,thanks so much!!! Wow I love this forum,,Larry

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  5. Larry82052

Apr 8, 2012
    Idalou,Texas
    Thanks for your answer to Weshard!! Very much help here thanks a million!!! Larry

6. BusyBlonde

BusyBlonde Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC

x2. I have my 2nd generation BR's at 5 months, and am just getting pullet eggs. I don't start feeding them layer feed until they're at least 5 months old and their combs/wattles get bright red and they start squating and singing the egg song, LOL.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

At 2 months old, they are still babies and need starter, not layer pellets. Feed starter/grower until they start laying, which can be anywhere from 18-28 weeks old, generally.

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine started laying at about 5.5 months, but that doesn't mean yours will. Every chicken is different and some press the limits of the average. [​IMG]

Also, you do not need to start feeding them layer food until they actually start laying. The excess calcium really doesn't do them any good if they're not laying.

9. jman4701

jman4701 New Egg

Apr 15, 2013
    cullman alabama
    How did you tell that they were hens because my BR is about 2 months old and i still cannot tell what gender it is can you help me?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by