My barred rock honks like a goose.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by krissteff, Jun 29, 2011.

1. krissteff

krissteff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    I have a barred rock about 3 months old who is LOUD. I"m pretty sure she only does it when I go out there, and her honking seems directed at me. She's a lovely chicken and very mild mannered, but she has this honking thing that I'm starting to wonder whether it's normal. When I sit down, she doesn't really make the noise. It's usually during transition... coming out in the morning, going in at night.
    I'm going to try to get this on video so y'all can hear it, but it's like this: ONNNNNK, ONNNNNK, ONNNNNK.
    It's hard to relay this in words, and probably even harder to perceive.
    Has anyone had a chicken sound like a goose or a duck? Is it a sign of distress? Is she nervous? Should I be trying to comfort her in some way? When I talk to her, her ONNNNK gets louder. When I sit, she jumps up on my lap, cocks her head and stares at me quietly.

I'm inclined to think this is just her personality and her ONNNNKing might just be because she's a talker, but it's so incredibly different from the other pullets.

This picture is from a few weeks ago:

[​IMG]

2. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have three Rocks and three Rhodies. Mine are going on ten weeks and they make a lot of odd sounds right now. Yeah, some sounds are a bit "goosie". They all definitely have unique sounds.

I have a question. What do you feed your pullets and how? The reason I ask is because my girls are several weeks younger than yours but noticeably larger. I'm not trying to insult your girls or anything. I'm just wondering if it is something in the feeding. Or maybe it's that @#&* irradiated produce!! [​IMG]

These pics are from about three weeks ago. I'll try to post a new pic.

By the way...this is 'Alice'.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. krissteff

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    They are on a starter/grower feed, treats of watermelon, broccoli, greens, grass, mealworms. That picture was a few weeks ago, maybe even a month ago, and I think she looks deceptively smaller than she really is. She's filled out quite a bit since then and closely resembles yours. I haven't uploaded any recent ones in a while and that was the most recent one I had. I'll see if I can find another. She looks like your second picture. Just like that. maybe a tad more red around the face.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Barred Rocks honk at me like crazy if I go out there in the morning without their BOSS or some other treat. They're especially "honky" right now because they're close to laying. [​IMG]

5. krissteff

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    This picture was taken a week and a half ago. I seriously need to get out there with my camera and start snapping. I'm ashamed to say it's the most recent one I have and it's a shot from the back. Ack.

[​IMG]

6. krissteff

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    So is the honking a particular characteristic of the Barred Rocks? I have a small assortment of chickens, and she's the only one that makes THAT sound.
    It's almost a little embarrassing. [​IMG]
    She's my "tizzy" girl. As in... Always in a tizzy [​IMG]

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    My one does too, I assumed it was a peeping to clucking transition noise lol
    I hope mine stops soon because my dog gets over excited by the honking noise!!!

8. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

I have a Black Star that honks. I thought she had a respiratory condition! Now I wonder.

9. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Both of my 20 week old GLW's honk all the time. It's normal.

10. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    My 8 month old Catalina Honks.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by