My Barred Rock is laying white eggs...

wrightjo88

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Barred Rock. All of my chickens are laying brown eggs, except for the Barred Rock, she just started laying 2 weeks ago and has been laying white eggs. Any ideas on what causes this? Is it possible that she is not a pure Barred Rock, but rather a BR mixed with something else?

Other thoughts?

I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Barred Rock. All of my chickens are laying brown eggs, except for the Barred Rock, she just started laying 2 weeks ago and has been laying white eggs. Any ideas on what causes this? Is it possible that she is not a pure Barred Rock, but rather a BR mixed with something else?

Other thoughts?
Those eggs are not white, they are tinted or very light brown. Some barred rocks just lay really light.

She lays a light, tan, egg. That's OK.

She looks very, very pretty, but she's quite likely of mixed heritage. Since barring can cover a lot of things, she may well have other things in her blood line. This would not be unusual at all. Her appearance is rather cuckoo, which is what tight barring does, once it has been crossed with other things and then brought back. Hope that isn't confusing.

Last edited:
I have 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Barred Rock. All of my chickens are laying brown eggs, except for the Barred Rock, she just started laying 2 weeks ago and has been laying white eggs. Any ideas on what causes this? Is it possible that she is not a pure Barred Rock, but rather a BR mixed with something else? Other thoughts?
You know what else I was thinking... Are you sure it is the barred rock laying this egg? Looks more like an orp egg to me.
IMG_4181.jpg
My BR & Orp laying together.
IMG_4182.jpg
Eggs they laid. Lighter being from the orp.

browns eggs are white then while traveling down the egg tract they are coated with brown. Your hen has less coating the others that all.

Yes, I am positive that the eggs are from the Barred Rock. Thank you all for the information, I am fairly new to chickens and this is a big help.

According to her carring I'd say she very well is mixed. Also she's young, and it takes time for the whole egg thing to work out the kinks. I have one hen that has laid 3 different colors of eggs! SHe has laid brown, pink and cream with brown spots... Now that she is laying consistantly she lays pink! (she's a brahma)

Back
Top Bottom