My Barred Rock is sick!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by epeloquin, Nov 25, 2011.

1. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I went to the coop this morning and let my girls out for some free range time (we have six, 3 Rhodies and 3 Brd Rocks). One of the Rhodies went to nest to lay her egg and one of the Rocks was waiting. Then I noticed that Brucie was missing. I found her under the coop (we have 18" space under the coop so they can have shade/shelter when they want it). She was a bit puffed up and I noticed that she is very pale. Her comb and wattles are pale pink/yellow. When I picked her up she flapped a little but not normal. She is unsteady on her feet a little. There are no evident injuries and all the other girls are fine. There is also no evidence that I can see of her being egg bound (but I am not sure of the symptoms).

So, I took her home in a pet carrier lined with straw and I have her in a darkened room. I figured that it would be good, whatever might be wrong, to not have her laying right now. When I put her in the pet carrier she did not move an inch from where I placed her. She laid down and has not moved. I offered her water and she did not drink. She is seven months old and has been laying for a little more than two months. I do not use artificial light to keep them laying.

I am not sure what symptoms to look for. Please help!! She is such a precious girl, my wife and kids and I can't bear the thought of losing her!!

By the way, she is NOT sneezing or coughing. There is no discharge from her eyes of beak. Her crop seems normal and there is no odor from her breath. (We did have a couple with sour crop several months ago but I treated them and it cleared quickly).

2. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    She wasn't drinking either but about an hour ago she began drinking and now she's drinking pedialite.

She had a little diarrhea too.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Keep us posted with more symptoms. I just lost one recently and she didn't have much in the way of symptoms either. Pedialyte is a good idea. Mine wasn't drinking on her own, so there's a good sign for you that yours is. Good luck to you.

4. epeloquin

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    she has been drinking the pedialite. I also gave her some yogurt with olive oil mixed in it and she is now eating her layer crumble. She is definitely better but still not right. We will keep her in tonight and see how she does tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by