My Barred Rock is Suddenly Unsociable

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksgalore, Aug 2, 2008.

1. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I got two Barred Rock pullets in the spring and sadly lost one to a predator about 2 months ago. My other one, Camille, was an absolute favorite of mine. Everytime I went out to the coop, I was practically tripping over her because she was always between my feet. I used to pick her up and just hold/pet her and she'd do this soft little clucking, almost purring.

Then one night I saw a fox across the road from where my girls were free-ranging and he was pouncing on something in the weeds (a mouse or something?). I was SO thankful he hadn't seemed to notice my girls at all, as they were all contentedly ranging around like usual but when I went to get them in after that, Camille seemed really spooked and she hasn't been the same since. She acts really scared of me all the sudden and keeps her distance. I don't know if it's coincidental that it was that night or not but I don't know what else could've happened to make her like that. I can't imagine the fox got that close to actually notice all those juicy chickens and just passed them by so I really don't think anything happened there (or he would have had one, know what I mean?). I miss my girl! She's definitely a leader though. She leads around my two aracaunas (who were raised with her) all day.

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    She could be spooked. She may have sensed the fox, after all she did lose her friend to one before, right? I'd keep a keen eye out for the fox, or at least keep the chooks safe and locked up for awhile. Good luck. [​IMG]

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    I had a BO pullet, Mary Katherine who was molested by a fox about 4 years ago. I was able to intervene and save her, only her tail was lost. She was skittish and wanted to be alone for several weeks after the experience. I gave her extra treats, sat with her and she eventually recovered and joined back in. She is in my avatar. Stay with it, and I hope your Camille will return to her old sweet self soon.

I would agree with others to keep an eye out for the fox.

Anne

4. chicksgalore

chicksgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    I picked her up today and held her and instead of her normal cooing, she was clucking somewhat nervously but I did notice she's been getting a little closer around my feet when I feed these past few days so hopefully she's calming down again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by