My Barred Rock laid a white egg...what gives?

robot rooster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
For real, it is white, with a few rough looking "bubbles" on it. They free range, and I also give them potatoe peels and cabbage for nutrition, but this is odd. Why?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
Was it her first egg? If so, are you sure she is a barred rock? barred leghorns and california blacks look a lot like barred rocks, but with white earlobes and they lay white eggs. I thought I had two BRs with my first batch of chicks, but it ended up being one BR and one barred leghorn.

crtrlovr

Still chillin' with my peeps
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
East South Central (West KY)
my barred rock also lays a white (slightly cream, not STARK white, but definitely not brown) egg. I thought BRs were brown egg layers...
Not that it matters to me; my Betty is a sweetheart and I wouldn't care if she laid orange eggs.

crtrlovr

11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Quote:my BR doesn't have white earlobes; she looks exactly like other BRs, just lays creamy colored eggs. Hers aren't hard to pick out of the group when they all like to use the same nestbox!

crtrlovr

11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
what's the telltale difference between a barred rock and a barred Holland?
ETA: Betty is not a bantam; she's a bit bigger than my RIR hens and about the same size as my buff orps or Australorps

Last edited:

Cetawin

Chicken Beader
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
be careful with potato peels of any white potato. I have read somewhere that they are not good for them...I will look for the info and in the treat page here on BYC.

Last edited:

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
Quote:I know, of course, the Barred Holland lays a white egg, but I think, too, they don't have the darker stripe on the front of their leg like a Barred Rock...ummm....not really sure. I know there must be more differences. My mother has one, I would have to check her over.
I don't think she has white earlobes like the Leghorns, though White Leghorns were used to develop them.

crtrlovr

11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
thinking now I'm going to have to REALLY invade Betty's space and look her over from head to toe. She'll probably wonder why I've gotten so curious or think I've lost my marbles!

Top Bottom