1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Barred Rock laid a white egg...what gives?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by robot rooster, Mar 23, 2009.

1. robot rooster

robot rooster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    For real, it is white, with a few rough looking "bubbles" on it. They free range, and I also give them potatoe peels and cabbage for nutrition, but this is odd. Why?

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Was it her first egg? If so, are you sure she is a barred rock? barred leghorns and california blacks look a lot like barred rocks, but with white earlobes and they lay white eggs. I thought I had two BRs with my first batch of chicks, but it ended up being one BR and one barred leghorn.

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

my barred rock also lays a white (slightly cream, not STARK white, but definitely not brown) egg. I thought BRs were brown egg layers...
    [​IMG] Not that it matters to me; my Betty is a sweetheart and I wouldn't care if she laid orange eggs. [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

Quote:my BR doesn't have white earlobes; she looks exactly like other BRs, just lays creamy colored eggs. Hers aren't hard to pick out of the group when they all like to use the same nestbox! [​IMG]

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    Is she a banty?

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Barred Hollands look like a Barred Rock, too, and lay a white egg. There are several breeds that look VERY similar.

7. crtrlovr

what's the telltale difference between a barred rock and a barred Holland?
    ETA: Betty is not a bantam; she's a bit bigger than my RIR hens and about the same size as my buff orps or Australorps

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    be careful with potato peels of any white potato. I have read somewhere that they are not good for them...I will look for the info and in the treat page here on BYC.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:I know, of course, the Barred Holland lays a white egg, but I think, too, they don't have the darker stripe on the front of their leg like a Barred Rock...ummm....not really sure. I know there must be more differences. My mother has one, I would have to check her over. [​IMG] I don't think she has white earlobes like the Leghorns, though White Leghorns were used to develop them.

10. crtrlovr

thinking now I'm going to have to REALLY invade Betty's space and look her over from head to toe. She'll probably wonder why I've gotten so curious or think I've lost my marbles! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by