My Barred Rock laid a white egg...what gives?

robot rooster

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
For real, it is white, with a few rough looking "bubbles" on it. They free range, and I also give them potatoe peels and cabbage for nutrition, but this is odd. Why?

Was it her first egg? If so, are you sure she is a barred rock? barred leghorns and california blacks look a lot like barred rocks, but with white earlobes and they lay white eggs. I thought I had two BRs with my first batch of chicks, but it ended up being one BR and one barred leghorn.

my barred rock also lays a white (slightly cream, not STARK white, but definitely not brown) egg. I thought BRs were brown egg layers...
idunno.gif
Not that it matters to me; my Betty is a sweetheart and I wouldn't care if she laid orange eggs.
big_smile.png

Quote:
my BR doesn't have white earlobes; she looks exactly like other BRs, just lays creamy colored eggs. Hers aren't hard to pick out of the group when they all like to use the same nestbox!
big_smile.png

what's the telltale difference between a barred rock and a barred Holland?
ETA: Betty is not a bantam; she's a bit bigger than my RIR hens and about the same size as my buff orps or Australorps

Last edited:
be careful with potato peels of any white potato. I have read somewhere that they are not good for them...I will look for the info and in the treat page here on BYC.

Last edited:
Quote:
I know, of course, the Barred Holland lays a white egg, but I think, too, they don't have the darker stripe on the front of their leg like a Barred Rock...ummm....not really sure. I know there must be more differences. My mother has one, I would have to check her over.
smile.png
I don't think she has white earlobes like the Leghorns, though White Leghorns were used to develop them.

Back
Top Bottom