1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Barred rock rooster just died :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bazi77, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bazi77

bazi77 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Douglasville, GA
    I am not quiet sure but I had a 2 years old barred rock rooster, he was almost 6 lbs and just a big boy. Since it snow in our area, I decided to gave him some Dylan but as soon as I gave him medicine, he had trouble walking and once he got into cage, he fall down, shook for couple of minutes and died. He had a clear liquid coming out of his mouth. Any information on this??
    I am not quiet sure but I had a 2 years old barred rock rooster, he was almost 6 lbs and just a big boy. Since it snow in our area, I decided to gave him some Dylan but as soon as I gave him medicine, he had trouble walking and once he got into cage, he fall down, shook for couple of minutes and died. He had a clear liquid coming out of his mouth. Any information on this??

2. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Why did you give him medicine? Was he sick? I assume you meant TYLAN, and if so, that is only for when they are obviously sick I believe...sorry he died but if he wasn't actually sick the medicine could kill him. Also, it sounds like he may have overdosed.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  3. bazi77

Dec 25, 2010
    Douglasville, GA
    Yes I meant to write Tylan, It could been that overdose but I gave all the other ones 1.3 ml and gave him 2 ml because of his size and age. The strange thing was the fluid coming out of his mouth after I picked him up. He was not even sick and I gave him medicine as a precaution being its too cold and at freezing point for next couple of days, Now I am concern about the rest of them :-(

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    First off, I wouldn't suggest medicating them again. If they're not sick they don't need it. If you're concerned about the weather, give them electrolytes/vitamins in their water. But don't medicate them. 2ml's is too much for a 6 lb. chicken...you also dosed him for an 8 lb. bird. .27 cc is what is given per lb. of bird...I just round down to .25 cc (cc is the same as ml) per lb. of bird.

Hopefully the rest will be ok.

5. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:It's probably best not to give medicine when a bird is not sick. It doesn't really prevent illnesses to do that and sometimes can cause illnesses to become worse because they're no longer effective drugs. I've never heard of Tylan here but I'm seeing that 2mL is nearly twice the rec. dosage and even if he is a big boy, is he twice as big as the 1.3mL birds? Or just a bit bigger? Would the fluid coming out of his mouth been the excess medicine? Could he have choked on it?

6. bazi77

Dec 25, 2010
    Douglasville, GA
    Thank you all and I appreciate the advice.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry bazi77 if we forgot to say [​IMG]

8. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle