1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Barred Rocks are being bullied

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenrox, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Chickenrox

Chickenrox New Egg

Aug 22, 2008
    OK- the easter bunny brought us four chicks: 2 RIRs and 2 Auracanas that lay brown eggs so we think ther are really Aumericanas. We loved them so much we got 2 barred rocks a couple of months latter. The BRs are almost as big as the other four now so I decided to integrate them. It didn't go so well. I went to check on them and they were hidding behind the hen house in our coop. The other girls peck and chase them. What should I do?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Either leave them there, or take them out for good. They will have to establish a pecking order, and for the first few days they may hide.

If its TOO aggressive, and you think that injury is imminent then they need to be separated.

And if your Araucana has a tail, then its probably an EE...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

There is going to be some fighting for the top and you can't change that. However, you can help the new girls out by putting everyone out together to free range (the new girls can run if they are picked on), or even put them in the same run but have a divider, so they all get used to each other and fight it out through the fence.
    It's going to take some work, though. You won't be able to just dump new hens in with existing hens and expect it to work. Do the BRs have a place to hide if they need to?

4. Chickenrox

Chickenrox New Egg

Aug 22, 2008
    Thanks for your help. I guess the pccking order is a real thing I will keep trying to work on it slowly and I guess in back of the hen house is a fine hidding place for now.[​IMG]

5. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    My BR girls ARE the bullies of my flock! My RR have bare tail areas where the BR's peck them while roosting.

6. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I've got the same problem but with my silver laced wyandottes.I got them near 3 weeks ago and there still hiding in the coop in the nest boxes away from the others and I have to literally throw them out in the run so they'll move around a bit.My red sars will dash for them thinking there newbies I guess.I have never had this problem for this long.Any suggestions??

7. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    i had the same issue had 3 barred rocks tried to put them in the pen with the other chickens they got bullied bad pushed around where not allowed to eat they just hid in the corner so i made them they own pen now the barred rocks are doing great and loveing life

8. 9red2blk

9red2blk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    I have a question

9. 9red2blk

9red2blk Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2007
    I have quiestion I put my BO pullets in with the older hens . They are 20 weeks old and wanting to lay but the old hens won't let in the nest boxes. Should I separate them or what.
    Bob
    North West Ind
    26 BO
    19 RIR BR

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    I would say give them a week or two for the pecking order and if there still acting that way seperate them.Or just put a few more nesting boxes in.The older hens don't consider that there territory.
    I guess I got to seperate my SLW because they still are getting picked on and are hiding.It wouldn't be so bad if they wouldn't hide in the nest boxes.They crap all in them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by