My barred Rooster has a froze comb. Can he Still Breed ?

Mr.Grantly

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 3, 2009
We had a cold night of -20C, and normally they are fine in the little house at this temperature so I didn't turn on the heat light. I found out the next day that it was 80% humidity. My barred rock badly froze his comb. He has just started to breed the hens now and I have heard that he will be shooting blanks because of his comb. Is this true.

Thanks For the Help

Grant

Mr.Grantly :

We had a cold night of -20C, and normally they are fine in the little house at this temperature so I didn't turn on the heat light. I found out the next day that it was 80% humidity. My barred rock badly froze his comb. He has just started to breed the hens now and I have heard that he will be shooting blanks because of his comb. Is this true.

Thanks For the Help

Grant

No, it is not true. My Buff Orp Rooster lost most of the tips of his comb last winter, if he is shooting blanks then someone did not tell the hens, I have 10 Buff Orp Juveniles growing up from their eggs.​

wee.gif

Sorry, I had to giggle at that one! Wrong end of the chicken, the comb has nothing to do with breeding or fertility
cool.png

Think about it....some roosters are dubbed and have no comb. They are still fertile.

Back
Top Bottom