My bator stinks??? I am so sad please please hatchers your idea's

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hsm5grls, Nov 19, 2007.

1. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I had one poor egg survive shipping, I put it in the bator last Thursday, It has been running real good humidity, temps all has been good, but there is a real smelly liquid in the egg carton that is holding the egg I thought maybe it was the yoke that got on the egg from the broken eggs it was shipped with. I wiped most of it off but didn't want to wash the egg. We candled this morning just to take a peek and we saw a dark area around the wider part of the egg is that an air sack or is my egg a gonner? This is a red frizzle egg.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You need to get rid of the egg...its bad and seeping...you will really have a Big mess if you don't...it is NOT going to develop..Sorry...

Edited to add...it has had a hairline crack in it that you have not noticed is why it stinks...

Try again when you get some really good eggs from someone else...This happens so don't feel bad....

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The air sac should be clear when you look though it, kind of like you see an air pocket. At a 5 days old, unless you have a real good light, you should see a small black dot which is the embryo's eye. Stink is not really a good sign... You did take the egg out of the carton and throw the carton right? So you are saying the egg stinks?

Here is an egg at 6 days old:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Make sure from Silkies pics of candling but I'm thinking a funky smell means no good egg....

5. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkiechicken, your pictures are worth a thousand words! [​IMG]

6. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    we cracked it open and IT STUNK BAD!! But there was a lttle development did I just kill it? The baby in there was about the size of a dime maybe a little smaller. Any ideas It was surrounded by a white milky looking stuff and like I said it stunk.

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You didn't kill it....It may have started growth and then died ...thats why its smelling.....its had a hairline crack that you couldn't detect...

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You did not kill it. It had already deceased and was beginning to decay-that's why it smelled bad.

9. hsm5grls

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I didn't think I would be soo sad. You know you start out and they are "just chickens" but then you start loving the ones you have and i keep thinking what a pretty baby it would have been. I am crying and i don't do that often. I am just so disappointed

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We all have those false starts when we start hatching. You do it again and it'll go better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by