MY BCM ROO MIGHT HAVE HAD A HEART ATTACK!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puppies9099, Oct 12, 2015.

1. puppies9099

puppies9099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    My BCM Roo (Copper) died today he does'nt have any injuries and he was fine this morning i was wondering how you tell if he had a heart attack he was only 1 1/2 years old please help

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A heart attack, while unlikely in a 1.5 year old bird could only be detected with a necropsy at a poultry lab.
    I'm assuming he had no symptoms but just keeled over.
    What did you feed him?

3. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    i think he did just keel over but i just don't know why i already buried him he was my favorite and best rooster i fed him and his hens
    tucker milling layer pellets 16%
    black oil sunflower seeds
    poultry grit
    oyster shells
    diatramacious earth or DE
    and they got plenty of compost
    and he has been eating that all his life

4. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    they are also free range in an electric netting and protected by 2 great pyrenees he has about 46 hens

5. allbirds4me

allbirds4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2015
    46 hens ?
    Well...he could've had a heart attack if he was very " active" per tending to those hens I suppose but he would've died a happy bird.
    I'm sorry, really not trying to be funny because it's not
    and am very sorry for your loss but gosh, what a lot of " ladies to tend to" .

chicken canoe is right though, a necropsy would have been the only way to know for sure just what happened .

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  6. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    Thankyou for understanding he was the most beautiful roo and kind I could pick him up and hold him for a while he had help from his nephews with the hens I miss him he only has 1 son that is pure his name is Copper Jr but he is just not like Copper Thankyou for helping me I think he had a happy death he looked happy but I was just the sad one
    Thanks for responding

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If your rooster ate layer pellets his whole life and just keeled over with no symptoms, I suspect urolithiasis and visceral gout. There are usually no symptoms and the bird dies within 24 hours. There are very few other things that can kill that quickly. Others would be colibacillosis, campylobacteriosis and Marek's.
    1 1/2 years is about the right age for a rooster consuming 4% calcium its whole life.
    http://www.pjbs.org/ijps/fin1947.pdf
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/2337/urolithiasis-in-male-broiler-breeders/

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  8. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    No I don't think he had that he was perfectly healthy and I have never had kidney failure in my chickens I think he died of some natural disaster that I wish I knew

9. puppies9099

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    This is the only recent picture of him this is our old place the ground was dirt down where they are but grass above I miss him he was the best

[​IMG]

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. Chickens can die sudden deaths for a variety of reasons. Just like people, and all animals It is very possible he had a heart attack. Layer pellets do not necessarily shorten the life of the rooster. They can eat layer, although my personal philosophy is moderation in all things. Sometimes our flock eats layer, sometimes they have Flock Raiser, sometimes they have just "poultry feed". And occasionally they have corn or scratch mixed in. We just rotate everything. We have had several birds live to a ripe old age, 9 and ten years old and counting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by