My BCM stoped laying eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by neilgal, Nov 12, 2011.

1. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I had purchased four chicks from MP. I divided the chicken coop in two sections by chicken wire and raised the young side by side with my older ones. After I found the first egg from one of my BCM, a nice dark brown color egg, I removed the divider between the young and the old chickens. Much for my surprise, everything went pretty smooth, no fights or too mach violence. My BCM laid and egg every other day until four days ago.

I am starting to worry why she stopped laying eggs. Is anyone has experience in this situation?
  2. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    How old is she? Is it possible she is starting to molt? Are you supplementing with light at night? I have found that my chickens really backed off from laying when they got less than a certain number of hours of light a day.

Having said that, I did have a BCM hen, and she was never a very consistent layer. She stopped laying in October, and then didn't start again til April. Then, she went broody in June, and never did lay again (she was killed by a predator a couple weeks ago).
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both BCM's I had quit for the winter, even in their first year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by