My Beautiful 21-month old Peahen died today

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Lady Badlands, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    I am totally devastated. Buddy has been with me since she was an egg. She was my baby. I handraised her and she was very devoted to humans, as a result. Butter, her best peahen friend, and I are so depressed. Buddy had just started to lay her first eggs last week. Two beautiful, perfect eggs. Then a couple days passed and no eggs. I couldn't find her for one night and the next day. A friend came over and found her under a truck in the grain barn. We thought she was laying an egg, so we left her alone. But an hour later I came back, and she had moved a little because the chickens were harrassing her. There was no egg where she had been sitting.

I told my husband to get a box immediately and I went in and picked her up and took her inside. She would get very close to me, but I could never touch her without her clucking at me and moving away. She didn't move away at all this time. Picking up a mature, beautiful, magnificent bird like Buddy was a thrill. I petted her silky feathers and held her close. She had her eyes closed half the time. We thought that she needed to rest and get over whatever sickness she was feeling, so we put her in a safe room in a cottage on the property so she could get a good night's rest.

I got up at 5 am this morning and Buddy was slumped over her waterer, dead, and beginning to get rigor mortis. I was shocked, devastated, totally freaked out, saddened beyond belief. I've been crying all day. I still can't believe my beautiful girl is gone. The fact was driven home when we buried her with flowers and messages of love.

I love you Buddy! RIP!

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I am so, so sorry! She was beautiful. No idea what happened since I don't have experience with peafowl, but I hate this happened. [​IMG]

3. Lady Badlands

Nov 5, 2009
    The other pic was Buddy being her impish self. This one is more stately:

[​IMG]

4. speckledhen

What a devastating loss for you. I hope one day to have a few of these stunning birds.

5. Lady Badlands

Nov 5, 2009
    Thank you, speckled hen. I think it may have had to do with some kind of reproductive issue. Butter, Buddy's BFF, who's just 9 days younger, had trouble with her egg today. It came out without a shell in several drops. This is the worst thing because Buddy and Butter were inseparable and they were the heart and soul of our farm. Everyone loved them because they hung out with people and weren't afraid. I don't know if I'll ever get over the pain of losing my little girl as I never thought I would lose her so soon.

I really appreciate your sympathy. No one understands this but another bird lover. Thank you!

6. speckledhen

You're welcome. I know all too well the pain of losing a precious feathered friend. [​IMG]

7. SDpeafowl

SDpeafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Dakota
    So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I always hate loosing birds that you have become attached too. I have a peahen named Pete that is just like yours. She eats out of my hand and when she was little she used to fly up and roost on my arm. I would really be devastated if I loose her.

8. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I am real sorry, I had that happen to me with a duck I raised one day it was just gone. But it looks like Buddy lived a happy life. I am terribly sorry [​IMG]

9. Fowler Hencock

Fowler Hencock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. She was a very pretty bird.

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Soo soo sorry for your loss.
    What a beautiful girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by