My beautiful baby Blue Andalusian!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Henriettamom919, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Look at my baby TinyPeep getting her big girl feathers!

20190625_090148.jpg

2. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I just acquired a Blue Andelusian this past April. This breed is stunning. Is yours very friendly but skittish isfyou approach her too quickly?

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    You know, I think that would be her disposition but she was kind of the runt of our four mixed chicks; the Coastal Feed we got her from had a policy where they had to box up your order and we'd chosen three 7-10 day old chicks. In her brooder there were mixed ages and they gave us a 1-2 day old chick which we didn't discover until we got them home (employees back was to me) so she's been handled A LOT and will jump on your shoulder if ignored, even from ground level!

Her overall attitude makes me think she would have been skittish or shy if not for the circumstances.

ValerieJ and azygous like this.
  4. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Judy, my Blue, has loved to ride around on my head or my shoulder from the very beginning. At three months, she still likes to jump onto my shoulder.

I was working with the manager at my TSC to get some sex-links, and called me when these Andelusians came in. They were already a week old, and I did my best to try to feather sex them, but all but one appeared to be cockerels. I came away with two, and wasn't surprised when one of them was indeed a cockerel. He began displaying a very disagreeable temperament around age six weeks, and I decided to cull him before I got any more attached to him. I'm relieved I made myself do it. The remaining pullets, including Judy and four sex-links, are all so much more relaxed and content since he made his exit.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I hope I can develop this level of resolve someday. I am and always have been too soft hearted. When I was a kid the wild birds would eat these fermented mountain ash berries in late summer and get a little drunk then fly into our picture windows. I'd save shoe boxes all year and turn into a bird EMT service and while most of them recovered fine overnight I'd just cry and cry when I lost one.

I'm not that bad now but I need to toughen up! As it stands I think I'd have to have my teenage son do my culling if i ever needed to :oops:

azygous likes this.
  6. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    My daughter bought two through Meyer Hatchery, she was sent a light and dark one.

azygous likes this.
  7. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    When I saw blue chicks at the feed store, I was a goner! If that little Blue cockerel hadn't been such a little psychopath, I was looking forward to having more little Blues from my "starter" pair.

I've had bad roos before, always rehabbed them, but it required months of injuries to my hide and training the badness out of them. This guy had all the warning signs of a bad roo that was that way in his core. I haven't lived nearly eight decades to start ignoring my inner warning voice now.

8. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    She is beautiful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: