My Beautiful Copper Marans lays sporadically UPDATE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kittyf, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Kittyf

Kittyf Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm concerned about my beautiful Black Copper Marans, Big Karla.

I have three other young hens, different breeds - from the same breeder, We had 4, but when we lost a very small RIR pullet, we decided to get another chicken. We bought Big Karla because I wanted the chocolate colored eggs.

I knew introducing another hen into the flock would take some time and patience. Of the other three, two of them - the RIR and the BR both started laying right around Christmas, the RIR first and a week later, the BR. The White Leghorn has yet to lay. The breeder told me the first three were all the same age, so maybe the WL just takes longer to mature. She has been inspecting the next boxes and doing the squat, so maybe she's nearly ready.

It the Marans that has me puzzled. We introduced her to the flock about a month ago. The breeder said she was fully grown and laying regularly and the egg he showed us was pretty and very dark. We had our pick of several CM beauties in his coop, and chose Karla because she was big, beautiful and friendly. The breeder said it would take about a week for her to acclimate and begin laying again.

There was a bit of adjustment, but everyone seems happy in the coop and run. Karla laid her first egg for us about 10 days after we got her. It was creepy and partially shell-less. Two days later she laid a beautiful dark brown egg, perfect in every respect, but on the floor. I was delighted.

Since then, however, she lays an egg every 4 to 5 days, sometimes in the nextbox, sometimes on the floor. Most of these eggs are lighter in color with lots of speckles and spots. Today's egg was sticky and dirty and I was forced to wash it, so the color is not too good. The insides of her eggs are lovely, though, and the shells are hard.

But an egg every 4 days? Is that normal? The RIR and BR lay every day, taking a day off about every week to ten days.

Is there anything I need to do for her? Everyone gets laying mash with cayenne, time in the run with greens, meal worms, oyster grit and other treats and the water has organic apple cider vinegar. (I read everything here!) Everyone also gets playtime with me and a nice petting (okay, the WL, Kathy, doesn't like to be petted, but does like meal worms from my hand)

Is Karla just a sporadic layer? Is it just the kind of chicken she is? Or am I just overthinking this? I'm new to this...

PS That's Karla in my avatar.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    The time of year may also have something to do with it. Hens lay in accordance with the amount of light they have during the day. Also, seeing that you got her one month ago, she may still be adjusting to the new place. My personal opinion would be to give her time and just wait and see.

3. Kittyf

Thank you - I'm just a worry-wart!

4. Kittyf

She's layed every other day since I first posted - still on the floor, but they are lovely eggs, dark and beautiful and I think she just needed more time.
    Yes I was just worrying too much!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  5. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    I am so glad to hear that. [​IMG] Sometimes the hardest thing in the world to do is to take the wait and see approach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by