My beautiful flock, lots of PICS!!! Check it out!!! ***PIC HEAVY***

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chicken_china_mom, Sep 9, 2009.

1. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    I wanted to share some pics of my beautiful birds. I am so in love with them, they are wonderful. I swear sometimes that it's like being the parent to 40+ kids. Some listen and are great, others pretend you aren't talking to them, others flat out ignore you, some disobey, etc. But I love each and every one of them. All my birds have such unique personalities. Everyone in the family has their particular favorites. Here are my birds:

Here is Goldie my blind chicken. She was pecked badly and plucked too before I got her. She can't see out of the eye facing the camera and has limited vision in her good eye. You kind of have to be right in her face in order for her to see you. She is my older DD's favorite and will actively seek Katie out and asked to be picked up and snuggled. She is suppose to be a standard sized GLW but I think her growth was stunted because she is 21 weeks old and while she is not as small as bantam, she is nowhere near as big as my SLW's.

[​IMG]

Here is Pebbles, my bantam Mottled Cochin girl that I got from ShellyD at the BYC meetup in Indianapolis in August. She and her mate Bam Bam are so sweet and were welcomed into my flock. They have adjusted quite well.

[​IMG]

Here are two of my roosters, my big Cuckoo Maran (or at least that's what he's SUPPOSE to be, is named Mystery, and my little bitty guy is my Sebright Pip. Pip was following me around and posing for the camera. Every time I took a picture he would crow afterwards, lol.

[​IMG]

Here is my handsome boy Pepsi. He is, at best guess, a Sebright mix. He has a HUGE straight comb but everything else about his screams Sebright. He has such a sweet disposition and he really likes my mom. He likes to jump up and sit with her when she comes to sit out by the coop. He was fascinated by the camera last night.

[​IMG]

This is my gorgeous girl Sir, she's a SLW. For a long time we thought she was a he. The comb got big and bright fast, and then it slowed and we now know that it's a girl. But the name stuck and she answers to it. She is our best looking SLW. Anyone think she has any show possibility?

[​IMG]

Here is my Silkie boy Hector. Pardon his bad hairdo, we've had a lot of rain lately and he loves mud puddles.

[​IMG]

Here is my best girl Petunia. She is the head of all the hens and is such a wonderful bird. She seeks me out when I am out there and will walk along beside me clucking and cooping to me. I'll talk to her and she answers. She'll come over to be picked up too. She is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

Here is Jersey, our Australorp girl. She's still people shy and my least friendly, but she's a good girl. My mom loves this picture. She says it looks like Jersey was posing for me.

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of some of them. They all dashed so fast in opposite directions when I let them out that it was hard to get this pic!

[​IMG]

This is me and one of my Splash Cochin girls, her name is Dora.

[​IMG]

Here is Priscilla, my bantam White Cochin girl. I got her, Elvis, and Misty from Babymakes5, another BYC'er. I love all 3. Elvis comes to greet me when I come home from work and he follows me around the yard as I garden and do things. He kept me company yesterday as I was cleaning out my car.

[​IMG]

Here is my only EE girl, Misty. I have fallen in love with her colors and gentle personality. I want more EE's now cause of her!

[​IMG]

And lastly, here is my handsome boy Elvis. He is still a little shy and would prefer to follow me around as opposed to getting picked up. He invited himself right into the house the other day. We don't mind, he's a good boy. Hardly crows at all, and so far, never in the house. He prefers to hang out on my patio then out near the coop with the other chickens.

[​IMG]

I hope everyone likes my kids. They are my pride and joy. I'll be taking more pics real soon, and I will share!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful.

Do silkies come in standard or are all bantams?

3. 19Dawn76

19Dawn76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Toadsuck, AR
    I am glad I'm not the only one with 40+ chickens that all have names. They are pretty!![​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Very pretty [​IMG]

Silkies in the US only come in bantam sized.

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Oh and BTW that IS a VERY nice SLW. I would try her in a show and see how she does. It's WAY better then the one I got. I got mine from a hatchery and she is just all messed up when it comes to lacing. Nothing really there...she is just white and black blotches LOL

6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    LOL! I love the story of the little guy crowing everytime you took a pic.

7. Crittercrzy

Crittercrzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    NE Tennessee
    enjoyed your pix..you have a great looking flock. I have an Elvis too..he's a Rhode Island Red that thinks he's a Bantam/Dog LOL He cracks me up!!!

8. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Awwww!

9. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thank you for sharing pics of your babies !! Beautiful birds ! [​IMG]

10. chicken_china_mom

chicken_china_mom Crazy for Cochins

Apr 24, 2009
    Tab, Indiana
    Thanks everyone. I love my birds. We have some eggs from them in the incubator now. We aren't sure who layed what, or even who is the daddy(s), but we don't care for now. We'll separate them out for breeding pures next Spring. For now we just wanted to see if we could hatch out any of their eggs. It would seem that our Amber Sexlink girl Omelet is the hen of choice as far as breeding goes, however Petunia is the Alpha hen. We have three banty eggs and two standards in the incubator right now. I'm not holding my breath that anything will hatch, but if something does, it will be loved, NAMED, and spoiled, lol. I have plans for a new, bigger, coop, and some fencing so they don't wander into my neighbor's yard anymore. Night after I took these pics they went into her yard and ate one of her pumpkins. [​IMG] I was at work and the kids said she came to the door and told them. I told the kids they have to keep them out of her yard. They like my neighbor's pine trees. They go under them and hide in the shade when it's hot, and apparently someone likes it well enough to lay their eggs there too cause the kids found an egg there. I have plans to order a lovely 6 hole nest box off someone here on BYC, maybe two, and I'll get two more after tax season so that there are enough between the two coops. Once the camera batteries are charged, I'll take some more of them during the day. But I'm glad everyone likes my babies! Thank you all for looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by