My beautiful Georgie is really....? (Questions)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 4hooves&featheredfriends, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 4hooves&featheredfriends

4hooves&featheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    GEORGE!

This beautiful "girl" has been a favorite since her little chipmunk days and has been handled since day 1. I should have known better to let my husband pick "her" for his own and name her Georgie. Within the past weeks, I have noticed the difference in the angle of the tail compared to Lucile, another EE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two days ago, as I got out of my car I heard an attempt at a crow. ERRRR- ERH- EH (the last part sounded like the offender ran out of breath and almost choked). Later that day, I identified Georgie as the culprit.

We are keeping him as long as he remains social and gentle with his girls. He has 17 of them. Should be OK? Please advise.

Also, if he has slate legs, a beard and muffs does he have more Aracauna lineage than most EE's?

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    LOL! Are those pictures recent of Georgie? If so, she still looks like a pullet to me. I am far from an expert though. Sometimes hens manage a pathetic crow, too, particularly if there are no roosters around.

About the muff and beard, again, I am not an expert, but most, if not all EEs have a muff and beard. Also, I know that green (not slate) legs are standard for ameraucanas and aracaunas. Probably means your bird has some outside influence, but that's expected being an EE.

Georg(i)e really is gorgeous, though! Hen or rooster, s/he should make a good addition to your flock.

3. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Actually, I've heard many say the more you handle a roo, the worse he is. But I've had that, and the extreme opposite happen. You'll just have to wait untill he grows into hiself.

No, not really. If i remember right, Ameraucanas have slate legs too. Usually, you can tell when a EE has more Araucana lineage when they are clean faced.....I have a clean faced EE hen that lays BRIGHT blue eggs.

4. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Keep on handeling him and he will be fine? worse come to worse make him a pen of his own and if you want to breed you have George.

5. 4hooves&featheredfriends

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The pictures are from about 6 weeks old and he is now 8 weeks old. They are growing really fast now it seems. I will try to take some pics tomorrow of him to show you his body when he is strutting. He keeps working on his doodle-doo, he better keep working on it. [​IMG]

He is very different from the other EE - her tail slopes downward and his is very upward. He also does this dominant thing where he postures over the pullets to get them in line.

Hopefully with better pics someone can say he is in fact a rooster.

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Sigh, that's my Georgie in my avatar! We hatched three chicks last February and all were roos. We gave two away, one because he turned mean towards me and wouldn't even let my mother in the yard. He was fine with my son and husband. He was the one who liked to be handled the most as a chick. George has always been aloof and a little afraid of humans. He is fine with all humans, dogs, but not the neighbors' cats who get into the yard. I have no idea of it's true or not, but in our case the one that was handled the most DID turn out to be aggressive.

7. 4hooves&featheredfriends

Jan 5, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Here are a few pics from today of George;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So what do we think a misguided pullet or a roo?

8. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    From the last pictures on your post my guess is ROO.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Just handle him and treat him like any other chicken...my EE roo is a sweetie and he is in with 29 girls... however only 19 are "his", the others will not allow him to mess around.

Then say one roo per 10 hens I think but I have seen them do well with less also.

10. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Agreed.... after the latest pics, I def. think roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by