my beautiful tolbunt frizzle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by granny hatchet, Feb 17, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have been battling illness in my coops for way too long now. they take turns getting sick until the tylan knocks it out and they are carriers. shouldnt be much longer until they have all been sick and treated. i thought for sure it was crd but i have changed my thinking to coryza. i have one(its always that one) your favorite, that just wont get better. i have been giving tylan injections for 3 weeks. i have just changed to oxytetricycline in the water. my beautiful tolbunt rooster. i got soo lucky to get him. theres no way i could of ever afforded him. he was gave and shipped to me and i had great plans for him. i even ordered a female look-a-like. candy corn i think. they were going to pay for my chicken feed. lol i belive he is now blind. at the very least , way hard for him to see. i have to tap where the water and food is. he has his appetite but he stabs at the air trying to find it. he does not present exactly like the others and he may of had trouble with his sight when i got him. he wouldnt climb a ladder or ,well things roosters do. all the chickens have the swelling in front of the eyes, bubbles, breathing problems,thickish snot. every day when i clean his face and eyes he has what looks like black hair i am wiping off. i have lost 3 of 75. even if he is well i dont know if i can take their eggs to hatch. i am simply brokenhearted.

2. chicken-herder

chicken-herder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2014
    Cape Town, South Africa
    I am so sorry to hear about your poor little roo. I really hope that all your love and affection pulls him through!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Pam, Coryza is not passed thru the eggs. The birds themselves may be carriers of Coryza, the eggs are still clean. :)

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh and I hope your sweet roo pulls thru. [​IMG]

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you both. i am hoping[​IMG] but not hopeful. two crows, guess i just repeated myself. [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Keep me posted! [​IMG]

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i was looking up the sulfa meds. they dont cost that much.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, sulfadimethoxine is not that expensive. The sulfa might work faster and harder than the Oxy. If you can order it, go ahead and do it. When it comes in, stop with the Oxy and switch to the sulfa. The sulfa is only used for 5 or 6 days max.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    There is a sulfadimethoxine and a sulfadimethoxide. Get the Sulfadimethoxine.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    holy cow, how am i supposed to call tsc and pronounce that??? i will spell it to them i suppose . hahah no generic names ? is sulfamed-g the same one ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by