my beautiful white silkie turned out to be a ROO =/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bunniesanchez, Aug 19, 2014.

1. bunniesanchez

bunniesanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    So a few months ago i bought 2 silkies at my feed store. One white One brown. A couple of days ago the white one started crowing (is that the right word? lol) Nothing yet from the brown one. Hoping she is in fact a female. She is actually quite smaller then the white one. Do i need remove the Roo from the chicken coop? If the brown silkie is a female will her eggs be fertilized? will we be able to hatch babies from them? Im still very new to being a chicken owner so i would appreciate any advice.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If the brown Silkie is a pullet, and the white one is successfully mating with her, then yes, her eggs will be fertile. And if you want to hatch the eggs, and have the resources to do so, you will be able to hatch her eggs. Or, you could wait until she goes broody (which is usually often with Silkies), and then let her hatch her own eggs. You do not need to remove the rooster unless he seems to be harassing the hen too much.

3. bunniesanchez

bunniesanchez Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    ok thank you for your reply. He seems to some times get moody and peck at one of my smaller hens but usually when he sees me coming he runs the other way. Is it possible for him to mate with the other breeds of chickens i have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by