My Bees....pics

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SamG347, Dec 10, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Here are a couple pics of the bees I collected on Saturday while getting my Xmas tree. They are currently living in the box pictured but are moving to a small temporary topbar hive tomorrow...and then to the larger topbar hive in the spring.
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Wow! That's cool - and a lot of bees. [​IMG]

3. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Woah... Thats a lot of bees! Are they in your house? What if they get lose? [​IMG]

4. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Yep they are in the garage...they shouldn't try to get loose as the queen is in the box. And the girls lifes revolve around her. Some of them are getting ansy to get out and stretch their wings....which they will be able to do in the new hive.
    [​IMG]

5. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

They were swarming @ this time of year? [​IMG] Or did you harvest the hive with the tree?

6. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Very cool. DH wants to look into raising bees someday soon. Did you get these out in the wild? How on earth did you collect them if that's the case?

7. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Harvested Hive....they had 3-5 combs hanging from the base of a tree in the field. It was 20 degrees and the fact that they are FREE also helped me to decide!
    Can't wait to get them into their new hive!
    [​IMG]

8. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Wow! They look very hardy! I just started keeping bees last spring.It is really interesting. When I need a break from chicken chores, I just sit and watch the bees-go in ,go out!And we got about 30 lbs. of honey this year! Next it's the bees wax to clarify! Good luck-and thanks for tending bees!

9. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes indeed thanks for keeping bees [​IMG] I am in the research stage.

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Quote:Wow, good find - although this is a tough time of year to get them settled in! How do you plan on feeding them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by