1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "Beggers Can't be Choosers" Hatch 42 eggs Set today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lockedhearts, Apr 6, 2011.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I just did a Zero Hatch incubation, in all my years incubating, this has NEVER happened. I still plan to build a Small Cabinet incubator, but my styro has been good to me all these years.

I calibrated both Hygrometers and all 3 thermometers. Then called a friend and begged some eggs.......

I got a little bit of everything in there, Welsummers, BBS Orps, Sussex, BCM, EE and....................................... Some Duck Eggs!!!!!

Hubby has wanted ducks and he has NO CLUE [​IMG]

Temp holding at 100.5 Humidity at 45-47

Hoping all goes well with this Hatch!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I hope you set the ducks first.... Don't make my mistake. Though it has turned out well.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good luck, Karen. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You can keep me updated better on FB. I wanna know how this goes for you!

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Temps dipped a bit last night, but that is normal in the styro. I may try wrapping it tonight to see. I am not really using heat anymore in the house since days are warmer and nights are not always cool, so it causes dips.
    I am pretty excited about this hatch too! I have a neat assortment and it will be a change. Going to use my last Bantam pen outside as a brooder. My brooder is out back and I am afraid I will forget them (out of sight, out of mind)
    So I need to adapt the bantam pen and work on the roof of it some, but I think it will be fine.

After this I plan on working on building my smaller cabinet bator. I am going to make it where I can use regular turners in it and have 2 shelves for turners and a hatching tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by