1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Bella loves the rain, is this bad for her?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by momreda, Dec 10, 2009.

1. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    I have a hen that just absolutely hates to go into the coop when it is raining. All the others head straight for the door while she stays out getting soaking wet! So far she seems fine but I worry because the winds have been gusting to 60 MPH and then the rain. Should I just keep all the birds locked up inside or let her decide whats best for her? I hate keeping them locked up because thet tend to get aggitated at one another when they are confined. Thanks in advance!

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My girls LOVE the rain. They don't even seem to mind the wind and rain but when it was sleeting the other morning--they came 'flying' into the coop... I think they will be fine IF they have the opition of being in or out.. Just make sure the door to the coop can't blow shut and she should be fine..

3. momreda

momreda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Cumberland Furnace, TN
    [​IMG] thanks for the reassurance!

4. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:I agree. My girls are out in the rain all the time. just leave the coop door open.

5. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    We have had 2 inches of rain in the last 24hrs (Los Angeles area). The run and food bin is totally soaked so I have put another feeder in the coop. Thanks for the reassurance that chickens do ok in all the wet. The coop is nice n dry- thankgoodness.

6. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Good to hear about the rain. What about if it's about 45-50 in the day raining, and by 10pm it's about 35. Is it ok to go to bed wet when it's that cold out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by